• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone install their STaK transfer case yet?

1toughxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anyone got their STaK installed yet? I know they're were a couple of guys waiting for them. (Capt. Nemo). Just wanted to get some feedback.

Ben
2001 XJ

Did you get a 2 speed or 3 speed? What Ratio did you go with? Just curious. It's a tough decision on what ratio to go with.

he went with the 3 speed, 1:1/3:1/5.4:1

If and when i buy one, I would be doing the 1:1/2.3:1/4.3:1 just because I love snow wheeling, and having a not so low 4x4 is awesome.

I was out of town all last week (visiting the fam in Ohio). Hopefully, the pretty brown crate is waiting for me at work on Monday.

yeah... big o' thing!

very nice though. We got it in, then come to find out his trans output shaft is an odd ball length, so we are getting a spacer for this weekend. lots of hammering and it hangs low, but thankfully he has a clayton rear coil conversion kit.

Will all 23 spline AW4's have this issue? Or is his truely an oddball length like you had mentioned?

its first year 23 spline, so its prolly rare. Stak said we are the first to run into it. usually they have this issue on the wrangler 4 speeds. but a 1" spacer solved it.

actually the AW4 has a longer output shaft than the AX-15. Had to send my tera low back for a different input shaft due to the AW-4 shaft length, and my new atlas is using a 1 inch spacer. Something to keepin mind.

D

Scrappy said:
its first year 23 spline, so its prolly rare. Stak said we are the first to run into it. usually they have this issue on the wrangler 4 speeds. but a 1" spacer solved it.

Did you happen to measure the output shaft length on the AW-4 before mounting the t-case?

Also, you said it hangs low? With 25 clocking positions, I would think you'd be able to tuck it up there somehow. Was there no way to modify the tranny tunnel a little bit?

Here mine sits, waiting until the end of Sept. for the install. I have two trips planned, and then the rig is going under the knife.

stak1.jpg

Capt. Nemo said:
Did you happen to measure the output shaft length on the AW-4 before mounting the t-case?

Also, you said it hangs low? With 25 clocking positions, I would think you'd be able to tuck it up there somehow. Was there no way to modify the tranny tunnel a little bit?

Eric, no joke... its tight. We tried many many diff positions. We moved the floor all the way till it is touching the drivers seat. With out cutting, its as much as the floor can be moved. It still hangs down at least 3"below the frame rail. But, like i said, the Clayton belly pan hangs down that low, so it JUST BARELY will fit with the skid plate on.

Also, since this thing is sooo heavy, we put a new trans mount in.

Did you get the TJ shifter kit? We got the universal, it will fit, but I am going to have to spend a good amount of time getting it fit well. I wish these had cable shifters...

Scrappy said:
Eric, no joke... its tight. We tried many many diff positions. We moved the floor all the way till it is touching the drivers seat. With out cutting, its as much as the floor can be moved. It still hangs down at least 3"below the frame rail. But, like i said, the Clayton belly pan hangs down that low, so it JUST BARELY will fit with the skid plate on.

Also, since this thing is sooo heavy, we put a new trans mount in.

Did you get the TJ shifter kit? We got the universal, it will fit, but I am going to have to spend a good amount of time getting it fit well. I wish these had cable shifters...

The install should be interesting then. I'm using the TnT skid, which sits pretty flush with the frame rails. Looks like I'll be cutting the floor, and doing some interesting things with the seat...

I have a newer tranny mount - did you have any other supports besides the stock tranny mount? I know the two speed (which I have) is about 25lbs lighter than the three speed, and I was thinking I might make another mount to support the 126lb t-case.

I have the universal shifter. Looks like the TJ one might have worked after looking at the paperwork.

Back