• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbox Mod

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Decided that the stock intake location sucks. So I picked up the bottom half of a TJ air box for free, because I like the.... snorkel horn looking thing it has, and figured I could make use of it. It effectively moved my intake up and back, and will probably be in a nice pocket of air given that i end up in deep water(and if I'm in water over my hood, then there's other issues to worry about). I sealed everything up with RTV and Automotive Goop.

Blocking off the stock intake hole:
100_2819.jpg

My new intake thing:
100_2820.jpg

Installed:
100_2821.jpg

100_2822.jpg

I sealed everything up with RTV and Automotive Goop. No noticeable performance lag or anything, no whistling, no idle issues. I'm happy with the outcome. I'll be buying a drop in K&N before too long, as well.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions.

it would seem that you are limiting your intake air to hot air rising off the header and collecting at the hood from that location.
Now if that were to go almost straight up to the hood and have air intake via scoop or hood vents it would seem more beneficial.
Those are just my thoughts and I am not knocking the creativity.

91Woody said:
it would seem that you are limiting your intake air to hot air rising off the header and collecting at the hood from that location.
Now if that were to go almost straight up to the hood and have air intake via scoop or hood vents it would seem more beneficial.
Those are just my thoughts and I am not knocking the creativity.
I appreciate the constructive criticism, rather than "that's stupid, don't do it"

100_1195.jpg

I've already got hood vents in the middle of the hood, which probably helps keep come cool air in there, I'm considering either running the intake into the cowl or putting a scoop there, although it may look somewhat out of place.

I'll be pondering...thanks.

Last edited:
You could run a hose from that opening into the cowl area. Alot of people do that and that way you ensure yourself that you're bringing in cooler air from outside.

You should probably skip the k&n, the stock air filter flows far more than the 4.0 can use, and k&n's let a LOT of dirt and dust into the motor..

i was gonna get a k&n filter until i posted a thread asking about them. also they dont save you that much money because you have to buy oiling kits.

k & n's flow better but are a pain to service get a fram washable 1/2 the cost no need to oil and just wash in the sink also the k7n doesn't filter well holes are to big

Thanks for the compliments and ideas guys.

I think I'm going to get some intake hose, cut a hole in the cowl area, and just run the hose to sit next to where the intake is, so I'm not relying on the cowl to be the intake, but just to bring in cooler air into the engine bay and the intake area

Nice work. The two things that bug me the most about the XJ are the alternator location, and the design/location of the air filter housing. Always have wanted to make a different one, and I like this idea.

Back