• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why does my jeep do so good on the trail, but as soon as I get off then stuff breaks

xDUMPTRUCKx

NAXJA Forum User
Well after spending friday night and part of saturday in jv with captin ron and his interns....quote of the weekend over the cb...

"Will all of the interns report to the mj"

So sunday morning I decided to run some big bear crap and I took every stupid line to make everything more difficult and just for ROBERTK I went over that crap you got caught up on, lol no longarms to hang up on those rocks!

As soon as I come back to pavement my crapp won't come out of 4low, so big bear to 29 palms at 35 mph and 3200 rpm was in order. Well the t case poped out of 4 low 2 times while going up hill with a million mountain folk behind me, good thing my buddy tim and his bull bar were there to help push me to a turnout.

Well, once I got to yucca valley, about 20 miles from home the exaust manifold which was already partially cracked, cracked off and became a open header for my listening enjoyment, like a sound track to my wonderfull trip home.

Then a large amount of smoke began to fill the cab, me thinking it was exaust, I let the windows down, I now think it was tranny fluid cause when I pulled over to see how everything was doing, the transmission wouldn't shift out of drive and I think there must have been a leak in one of the hoses running to my tranny cooler, I dunno haven't checked yet.

Well 10 miles from home I think I lost all gears but 1st and 5 mph was my new topspeed. Luckily decent people do exist in this world and a nice infantry man towed me to my house.

Sad thing is after running all that big bear crap I wanted to go to jv again! Lol, think I might have cooked the aw4 though. Too bad less than a month ago my parts jeep with a aw4 in great shape in the back of it, looks like ill be doin a recon mission at the junkyard for a new tranny.

I think I'm gonna start buying lottery tickets.

Re: why does my jeep do so good on the trail, but as soon as I get off then stuff breaks

yea, if it wont get out of 4 lo and you drive on pavement, you will destroy the tcase indeed. Going to JV will wreak havoc on the heeps even if you seem things are good.

Re: why does my jeep do so good on the trail, but as soon as I get off then stuff breaks

Thats weird did you find out why your Tcase would not come out of 4L ? I had that problem putting it to 4L but it would pop out when i needed to. Must of Been the shift linkage getting stuck on something. Well at least you had fun.

Lance

both issues mentioned above could have potentially been linkage problems. Most of the problems i see are due to not having the linkage adjusted correctly.

Not to sound like an ass, but did you have the transmission in N when you were trying to shift out of 4L?

sintax said:
both issues mentioned above could have potentially been linkage problems. Most of the problems i see are due to not having the linkage adjusted correctly.

Not to sound like an ass, but did you have the transmission in N when you were trying to shift out of 4L?

lol i wish it was linkage.

linkage was good, i disconnected it and tried a prybar to no avail.

funny story, went out side hooked up the linkage and it slipped right into 2HI. lol just my luck. tranny still wouldnt shift, im gonna rig up a mannual tcs controller and try that and see if it shifts if not, its a parts rig and im buyin another.

could possibly be internal damage to the t-case fork mine is slightly bent and at times it wont shift without some fussing and cussing.

um not to sound like a asshat why drive a vehicle whatever it may be when the passenger area is filling with smoke? even with your windows down you would inhale a inordinate amount of toxic fumes even if it were just exhaust.

dzraces said:
could possibly be internal damage to the t-case fork mine is slightly bent and at times it wont shift without some fussing and cussing.

um not to sound like a asshat why drive a vehicle whatever it may be when the passenger area is filling with smoke? even with your windows down you would inhale a inordinate amount of toxic fumes even if it were just exhaust.

lol, i had to get home and in the marine corps late is not an option.

Back