• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamped Motor advice needed.

Ricochet

NAXJA Forum User
I got stuck pretty bad and was just waiting to be pulled out. The engine never died so I guess it was deep enough for the fan to keep splashing the intake. Well when I got out, I proceeded to shovel out all the water from the cab never turning the jeep off. On the way home, I noticed that I didn't have good oil pressure (normal was around 40 and now it was like 5). So I pulled into a convenience store and proceeded to change the oil. Well there was a ton of water in there, but changing the oil didn't help the pressure.

Fast forward 2 days:

I changed the oil again with new filter and still have the same oil pressure. It was about 30 when completely cold, but as soon as it warmed up it dropped to nothing. Now when I went for a test drive, I noticed a lower end knock when I get on it. Enough for me to turn around and park it. So how bad do you guys think this motor is? The motor has 143k miles on it. Do you guys think its a lost cause and I should just find another motor, or should I replace say the main bearings or whatever is down there.:laugh: . Any advice is more then welcome. I do not however want to rip the entire motor apart. I don't have the time, space or experience to rebuild a motor in my driveway.

Thanks guys.

stop driving it NOW. you are gonna have a big hole in the side of the block if you do. There was a thead awhile back about this, if it wasn't lost in the crash.

BENT CONNECTING RODS, read up

I doubt your rods are bent, especially since your engine never hydro locked right? it was running during the entire process of waiting to be pulled out? What I think happened, and your oil pressure seems to support this theory is your rod bearings are shot, after taking on water in the oil pan and running, your bearings did not get adequate lubrication instead were awash in an emulsification and they have been ruined...

IMHO anyway...

avnsteve said:
I doubt your rods are bent, especially since your engine never hydro locked right? it was running during the entire process of waiting to be pulled out? What I think happened, and your oil pressure seems to support this theory is your rod bearings are shot, after taking on water in the oil pan and running, your bearings did not get adequate lubrication instead were awash in an emulsification and they have been ruined...

IMHO anyway...

I totally agree.... I had this happen with a smallblock one time. Water is the devil when introduced to the inside of a motor.

sounds exactly like mine

and guess what guys ...

BENT RODS!

its bent rods, i did the exact same thing ... water, oil pressure dropped. changed oil @ cold it sat nice but always dropped and then developed noise ... guess what i know have a 99 motor in my 95 xj
when i get a chance Ill trhow up @ pic of my bent ass rod

I'm gonna say this ONE more time, If you got water in the oil, you got water in the combustion chamber. The 4.0 will NOT tollerate it, keep driving it, prove me wrong.
Your next post will be about how to swap a engine.

silent_bob_662001 said:
I'm gonna say this ONE more time, If you got water in the oil, you got water in the combustion chamber. The 4.0 will NOT tollerate it, keep driving it, prove me wrong.
Your next post will be about how to swap a engine.

see 2 people who have either had this happen or know whats up ... dont drive it ...i did and like i said i now have half a motor rusting in my back yard and 99 motor in my 95 xj ... pain in the ass

look, I'm no mechanic? No, wait, I do have that ASE master technician thingy on the wall at work.
either tear it down for rebuilt or swap it out.. It will grenade, just mater of time.

Oh i'm not driving it. I just took it for a test drive after the 2nd oil change. It will sit in the driveway until repaired. Don't think i'll waste my time with bearings as this motor has high mileage. Time to search of another motor. Oh the joys of our hobbies...:wierd:

Ricochet said:
Oh i'm not driving it. I just took it for a test drive after the 2nd oil change. It will sit in the driveway until repaired. Don't think i'll waste my time with bearings as this motor has high mileage. Time to search of another motor. Oh the joys of our hobbies...:wierd:
Just Empty Every Pocket ;)

seriously it sucks, but my brother did drive on his hydrolocked 4.0 for 3 months back and forth to work. Said it sounded like a cummins. I wouldn't recommend it.
He also ended up with a 99 motor.

Ricochet said:

If you stop right now, it's rebuidable. but from labor factor, cheaper to do a swap w/ a lower mile motor. Just my .02

Well I may have found a 4.0 from a 97 Grand Cherokee with 74k miles on it. This would be a direct swap correct? Would I need to pull the computer or wiring off of the donor or could I just grab the block with intake and exhaust manifold? Its still in the vehicle and i'm going to hear it run on Friday. If all goes well, i'll be pulling it this weekend. That is if everything will work out.

Well, we need to know what year Jeep you have?

They should be compatible, both OBD2, someone will chime in if I'm wrong.
Oh, wait , what year did they go disturberless?

np hey, save that swamped one for a stroker project

silent_bob_662001 said:
They should be compatible, both OBD2, someone will chime in if I'm wrong.
Oh, wait , what year did they go disturberless?

A 95 is still OBDI.

And I know the 4.0 went distributorless in 2000 on the XJ's....not sure if it was the same year on the grands

99XJSPORT06 said:
A 95 is still OBDI.

And I know the 4.0 went distributorless in 2000 on the XJ's....not sure if it was the same year on the grands

Well the block should still be the same if I have to take all the externals off my motor then i'm fine with it. I'll let you guys know how I made out. Have a good Turkey day.

Back