• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission slipping...only when warm..????

dannofalcon

NAXJA Forum User
Any tips....My Auto trans in my XJ seems to slip between 3rd and overdrive or fourth when the temp goes up, or sitting in traffic for a whil...it starts slipping for a bit...then loses top gear altogether, until you pull over for a while, let it cool, then its fine....IS this a mojor , pull out the trans type problem..? or can it be fixed from underneath...Any help..?

What you describe is indicative of internal seal failure or pump failure. In most cases it is not a fix thing, but rather a replace thing.

You can try to soften the seals with a cup of lacquer thinner in the ATF.

dannofalcon said:
Any tips....My Auto trans in my XJ seems to slip between 3rd and overdrive or fourth when the temp goes up, or sitting in traffic for a whil...it starts slipping for a bit...then loses top gear altogether, until you pull over for a while, let it cool, then its fine....IS this a mojor , pull out the trans type problem..? or can it be fixed from underneath...Any help..?

i just had the same problem recently and it got worse and eventually 500 miles later it blew up and dumpped all the trans fuild. i had to get it rebuilt shorty after.

have you checked the fluid level? I would make sure the fluid is clean and at the proper level before jumping to conclusions.
If it is low and dark colored, drop the pan and change the filter also. A little lucas tranny additve couldn't hurt either. If you do choose to use the Lucas, dump it in the pan while you have it down to change the filter--if you try to dump it down the dipstick it will take almost an hour.

Back