• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A question about rocker rails

Atownatheist

NAXJA Forum User
SO im at that stage where im gonna add rocker rails to my heep. Wonderin if i should just fab my own? or should i shell out the money and just buy a set? and if so any brands or characteristics i should look for?

Any info is great.

I built mine myself they are pretty easy.If you look at buying go with one that mounts to the pinch seam the entire length and also has "legs" that mount to the frame aswell.

I'll sell you mine........or fab a set up for you for around $175.I'll email you pics if you want they are similar to aj's offroad armor rails.You can stick a hi-lift jack under them and jack the jeep all the way off the ground,and they can be used as a step too.

I guess it really depends on what you want. If you are the anal retentive type that wants them with a 1/4" clearance on all sides, light tabs in this exact spot, and that they match perfectly with your current, proposed, and future modifications, you should build them yourself. Make them exactly right, just the way you want.

Also, if you are too poor to pay attention you might be able to save a few bucks fabbing them up yourself. This basically exchanges your time, for the time it would cost you to pay someone to fab them for you.

On the other hand, if you are okay with the pictures you've seen on the net, don't want or need anything special, and are okay with someone else's idea of a good design, for less than two hundred bucks, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal. Plus, you get his tries and failures (design research) for free.

If you plan to build your own take into consideration everything first! Draw it out and plan very very well. In my original plan I was going to bolt the rock rails I built on, and when it came down to the PITA of drilling through the frame rail (experienced this while installing RK longarms) I decided to weld them to plated framerails. Worked out a lot stronger and cheaper!

I guess what I am saying is build your own it is fun! Just be sure to plan very well. Here are a couple of links to get you started in the right track...

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/rocker.replacement.htm
http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rockrail11dm.jpg

Fab your own. Here is how I did mine. If I make another set I will tie the rear leg into the leaf spring pocket. Jeep kindly drilled a hole there at the factory.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I did a lot of research myself, and this is the one I ordered: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XJSL2&Category_Code=XJSL

I went with JCR because they make a rock rail that will fit with a RE Long Arm lift kit.

Also, JCR supports NAXJA, and their customer service is outstanding! They are on sale right now for only $210.00.
Rock Lizard Fab. makes a good rail to, but Martin is getting away from making them for the XJ, and may no longer be taking orders for them.

I believe JCR's are stronger, and afford more protection then other rock rails on the market. The main tube is made with 3"x2" boxed tubing with a 3/16" wall. Most other rock rails are made with 2"X2" boxed tubing.

I was going to build my own untill I saw a set from JCR. Less than $300 shipped to Atlanta, ordered on a monday,at my house wed morning ,great people to deal with. Pounded them all over Tellico and they work very well!
My.02

Tim_MN said:
Fab your own. Here is how I did mine. If I make another set I will tie the rear leg into the leaf spring pocket. Jeep kindly drilled a hole there at the factory.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

why not use 2" for the legs?? My guy has to order in 1.5 inch square

outlander said:
thanks for the publicity polar jeep!!!!
just got through taking those pics,I'll email them to you shortly....

post here too, will ya. I would like to see your design

bcmaxx said:
why not use 2" for the legs?? My guy has to order in 1.5 inch square

1.5" legs allow the rails to fit up closer to the body. Modify the plans to fit your needs or driving style.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Atownatheist said:
SO im at that stage where im gonna add rocker rails to my heep. Wonderin if i should just fab my own? or should i shell out the money and just buy a set? and if so any brands or characteristics i should look for?

Any info is great.

You will see a lot of info on this subject if you search. Obviously, everyone has their opinions on mounting design and materials. I personally like how JKS mounts their main rail up, tight against the pinch seem and to the undercarriage of the jeep instead of having a piece of angle iron bolt up to it. I also like the tube rails and how they are angle upward instead of straight out. I also really like rock lizards mounting concerning how they tie into the front shackle box of the rear leaf spring and have angle bracing between the kickers. There is not one company that has all of the best components of different manufactures so you could try and fab your own based on that. I did, however, find iron rock which I think I may go with come next spring. They have wider main rails (2x3) and mount it up tight against the pinch seem and undercarriage and have angled tube rails. The only thing I don't care for is the kickers but I think they are stong enough since the main rail is already pressed up against the rockers. I may order them without the kickers and fab up the mounting system like rock lizards so they will still be up as high as possible but mount to the shackle box and have cross bracing.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_PRS

Back