• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

confused atf 3, dex 2 or 3 int trans

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
What am I supposed to have in my 89 aw4?? I currently have dex 3, my dealer says atf 3 or 4 , and mitchell on demand 5 says dex 2. wtf do I use? did I screw anything in my trans? seems good, just coming up on its change interval

bcmaxx said:
What am I supposed to have in my 89 aw4?? I currently have dex 3, my dealer says atf 3 or 4 , and mitchell on demand 5 says dex 2. wtf do I use? did I screw anything in my trans? seems good, just coming up on its change interval

You may use Dexron II, Dexron IIE, or Dexron III (you won't be able to find DII anywhere, and DIIE is getting scarce.)

Do not use ATF +3/+4 - the friction modifiers are different, and the least you'll get is a bad case of clutch chatter! Most dealers make the mistake of thinking that it's a Chrysler transmission in the XJ (it isn't, except for some of the "Fleet" versions with three-speed autos,) and +3/+4 is a Chrysler fluid. The properties of the fluid are different enough that it would cause significant trouble in there...

Most specs like this are "reverse-compatible" - meaning, for instance, that Dexron III may be used anywhere that Dexron, Dexron II, or Dexron IIE is specified. You can go backwards, but go forwards at your own peril (using Dexron II in a slushbox designed for Dexron III usually caused minor problems.)

Chrysler TSB 21-014-07 states "NOTE: AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmission are now included in this Service Bulletin. ATF+4® is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions"

Many Dealerships use a multivehicle ATF. I have been running the multivehicle ATF in my 98 with no adverse effects.

It even says DexII on the drain plug. I guess we all assumed the dealership monkeys can read. The main problem is we trust dealers to not fawk up on junk when we leave it for service. We must be ever vigilant.
Dealers trust their TSBs and not their FSMs. We veteran XJ owners know better.
Getting off my soapbox now!!!

mikeforte said:
It even says DexII on the drain plug. I guess we all assumed the dealership monkeys can read. The main problem is we trust dealers to not fawk up on junk when we leave it for service. We must be ever vigilant.
Dealers trust their TSBs and not their FSMs. We veteran XJ owners know better.
Getting off my soapbox now!!!

Yeah - but even the FSM can be wrong. Ever use GL-5 in a transmission with bronze synchronisers? Not just the AX-15 - I've seen Muncies get chewed up by GL-5 as well...

Using atf +3/+4 is asking for serious trouble.

Just because the dealer says it's so doesn't make it true.

here's my thoughts, as someone that's killed an auto tranny with a fluid change.
If it works, don't mess with it. You know that DII/III works, because that's what's in there now. Why change it?
No matter how they change it you're going to get some fluid mix in there. Why mix the different types? Just put DIII in it and call it a day.

Back