• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 45. What is this??????????????

HeavyMetal said:
1997 cherokee, aw4, 4.0, 135k miles.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm

ive been using that site forever for all my codes, but to the best of my understanding, for my year, there is no code 45.

it will throw it at random it seems, sometimes itll go off, just to come back again later for a bit.

Curious. I don't seem to have it (yet...) either - but I've gotten all my codes posted from FSMs. I haven't incorporated the "standard" SAE codes yet...

I do have one question, tho. OBD-II (1996-up) codes can take several forms. The best one you can come up with is an "SAE" code - which will start with a letter (typically P, B, or U.) Four numerical digits will follow.

The problem with your "Code 45" is simple - is it really just "45", or is it "$45?" The difference is the numbering system - "45" is decimal, while "$45" is hexadecimal (meaning base-16, using 0-9 and A-F. It's a condensation of the binary system that computers use natively.)

If you can, see if you can get access to an OBD-II reader next time it comes up, and see if you can come up with an SAE "P", "B", or "U" (Powertrain, Body, or Network) code - since those are rather easier to find (all the codes listed on the WiP site are listed in order of SAE numbering - Pxxxx.)

It sounds like we have the same jeep! Same year, same mileage. Let me know if you figure something out with the code 45. I have the same issue as of yesterday. Thanks.

Back