• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body Work Help!

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I hope I have this in the correct forum. It wouldnt let me post in the body work forum.

Ok so a week ago I rolled my XJ for the 2nd time. This time the damage was a lot worse then the first time. The A pillar got bent down and back a few inches, the front drivers corner of the roof crushed down, the entire top of the unibody shifted over a good inch, and the drivers side door got very bent up.
I got the roof punched back up, got the top of the unibody almost dead centered again, got the a pillar almost back to stock. My problem is in the doors. After my first roll over the rear doors only would open from the inside. The hinges ripped off the unibody, and I welded them back when the doors were closed and latched. After this no matter what I did I could not get them adjusted so they would open from the out side. If you reached inside to open them they would open fine. They really don’t drag much, the open and close pretty smoothly. Any ideas on how to get them to open from the outside?

Secondly how should I go about straightening the tops of the door. The drivers door is bent where it lines up with the a-pillar. There is now a good 5in gap I can fit my hand through. Ive gotten it a lot better by using wood wedged and bending it by hand (it at least closes now) but its going to need a lot more than just bending by hand. I have a port o power, 2x4s, and lots of hammers, and that what I am planning to use. I just am not exactly sure how to go about pushing the door up and forward with out bending another part of the door. The door also has a lot of play in the hinges (especially the lower hinge) and it drags a lot. I would really like to salvage these doors if at all possible, so and ideas/ comments/ do's/ don'ts would be greatly appreciated.

I would not even mess with it and either half door them or Go to the scrapper and maybe you can find some used doors. As I under stand the doors and the back half of the floor are the only sheet metal parts that are not produced any more

Well its a new model so doors would be really had to find (I think the only difference is the striker though). I already have a full set of half doors, so I really dont need any more. Paying like $800 for a new door is not even going to be considered.

If anyone here has personally strightened their doors, please let me know.

Back