• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No more hood prop

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Just got done with the latest mod. I ordered a hood lift kit from Redline Tuning. Real easy install. They're having a group buy right now, if anyone's interested.

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-JEEP-CHER-8601gb.html

You may call it lame...but I like it. :) Just thought I'd share.

IMG_1287.jpg

It's only $59. I figured that the struts alone would cost that much at a parts store.

lowrange2 said:
I wonder if rear hatch shocks would hold it open?
im sure they would more then hold it open, probably end up blowing off the hood all together. the rear hatch weighs a lot more

Have any problems with it putting too much tension on the hatches to open the hood?

Looks like exactly what I did, only I used a strut from another XJ tailgate, so I think it cost me about $5. A single strut seems to do the job just fine.

I'd post pics, but I'm on the other side of the planet from my Xj right now (Japan)

karstic said:
Have any problems with it putting too much tension on the hatches to open the hood?
Shouldnt be any additional stress on the latches,when the hood is closed the struts will only be pushing on the hinges and their own mounts.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/Exterior.htm

I thought Go-Jeep had a fairly in depth write up about doing it yourself for cheap, but I couldnt find it on his site.

I used to have trouble with my hood being to hot, but after I installed some hood spacers, I havent had much trouble with it.

karstic said:

There's a little bit of extra tension. Because when you pull the hood release, the hood really pops up. But it's not bad at all.

xjohnnyc said:
There's a little bit of extra tension. Because when you pull the hood release, the hood really pops up. But it's not bad at all.
Hmmm I'm not sure I like that idea then. I think I like my hood being really secure so that in case something works itself loose it does not spring open while I'm driving....

odd. my dad's grand has that from the factory, and he wants to go back to a prop rod.

IslanderOffRoad said:
odd. my dad's grand has that from the factory, and he wants to go back to a prop rod.
I thought ZJs had those weird coiled spring things at the back, not hydraulics.

Back