• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf Spring/Shackle Bolt

BronsonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of removing and replacing my rear leaf springs. Miraculously the front bolts came out without breaking the weld on the nuts inside the frame. The rear bolts that attach the shackle to the frame just spin when I crank on them. Are these also welded nuts inside the frame? If they are I am assuming I broke the weld, what is the best way to get to them so I can remove the springs? If they aren't welded nuts, whats the best approach to removal?

I believe that those are welded nuts, but luckily I haven't had them break on me, so I haven't had to deal with that. I just kept cranking and they eventually came out, but if yours broke, that won't work. Good luck, bud. Hope someone can help ya out.

I have read that the back shackle nuts are accessible if you take of the back bumper and reach into the frame rails- I have had my back bumper off, but I didn't look for those inner nuts........

Did the bolt come out at all?

It's possibly it threaded out of the nut but is now seized to the metal collar inside of the bushing. Happened to 3 of my 6 bolts. Both of the fronts, one of the upper shackel bolts.

4xBob said:
I have read that the back shackle nuts are accessible if you take of the back bumper and reach into the frame rails- I have had my back bumper off, but I didn't look for those inner nuts........

Ditto that.

Thanks guys for the input, I believe after attempt #2 at removal that the bolts might be ceased in the collar. I have been going crazy with the PB blaster for the last two days. When I try to turn the bolts they move but then recoil back as if they were spring loaded which makes me think the collar is twisting inside of the poly-bushing.

If they are broke I found that little slot behind the bumper and I might attempt to make the holes a little bigger with a 3" cutting wheel to make them accessible with a wrench.

The bolts are 21mm. (Don't stress, mine was a total Newb question)

Thanks again!

Back