• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 lsd

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a ford 8.8 with factory limited slip out of an 06 ranger, The vehicle it came out of had a little over 14,000kms on it when it was rolled, by the looks of it it was not abused (well before the rollover anyways) I have had it in about 1 month now and it seems to have lost its posi effect and is acting more like an open diff. This pretty much normal for a factory posi? I added the proper friction modifier to the gear lube at install. Is there a good 8.8 tech site? I've never had anything apart that wasn't an open diff.

yes, factory limited slips are clutch based and do not last very long.

I only got 2 mild non gnarly trips outta the stupid thing, ah well still beats the d35 by a long shot, anyone recommend a locker for this beast??

I'm a fan of the Ected. About $575 delivered, but its selectable and a limited slip when "unlocked". It too is clutch based, but lasts much longer, and the manufacturer will rebuild it for a very reasonable fee when it does wear out. "robertk" here ran one in an 8.8 for ages, feel free to PM him with questions.

cal said:
I'm a fan of the Ected. About $575 delivered, but its selectable and a limited slip when "unlocked". It too is clutch based, but lasts much longer, and the manufacturer will rebuild it for a very reasonable fee when it does wear out. "robertk" here ran one in an 8.8 for ages, feel free to PM him with questions.
Thanks!! I'd rather have a selectable as we have about four months with snow on the ground.

Grab a 31 spline 8.8 outa an exploder with an open diff and throw an aussie locker in it. As long as you know the locker is there, it's not an issue in the snow.

mjma said:
Grab a 31 spline 8.8 outa an exploder with an open diff and throw an aussie locker in it. As long as you know the locker is there, it's not an issue in the snow.

I agree. Unless your ranger had the off-road package, you have one of the smaller shafted 8.8's. 28 spline IIRC. Not a whole lot better than a D35.

I have an ected in my 8.8 and I love it. I'm putting one in my 2wd street MJ too.

If you find one, there is the rare 8.8 out of the 03? 2wd ranger with the offroad package..........58" wide, 31 spline, 4.56 gears, disc brakes and factory L/S. I search car-parts and there was one in ohio. No where near me, but if I was close, I would have picked it up in a heart beat.

yellow fx4? whatever that is, I didn't do any counting other than making sure it was the right ratio. It did have a c clip though

I'll run my axle id tommarow, what if it is 28 spline?will a 31 spline locker and some axles be an option?

well if the wrecker i got it from cant i'll phone my buddy in parts at ford

Back