• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case compatibility issue?

bamfingxj

NAXJA Forum User
Short story first, I blew up my transfer case out of a 2000 xj that had a sye kit already instaled while playing in themud :( So I got a NP 231 out of a 98 yj gutted it, and put all my 2k parts in it,and now it dosent work. Is this a compadibility issue with the 2 cases?

Long story much the same during the rebuild I can get the tranfer case to work while in 2WD but when shifting it into 4WD H L or N the chain binds on the gear because its resting on the synchronizer sleeve. If I put it into the jeep it would probably granade.

So any suggestions?

selector is probably different.

The Selector. The lever for changing 4wd and 2wd modes is different. Also it must have been a TJ being that its a 98.

I must be dyslexic its from a 89 and yes the two "selectors"/ sector as haynes puts it are diffrent but in both cases I get the same result.

Oh no now I get what your saying and in light of the fact thats its not having these problems while installed rather on the bench I dont believe that is it.

Other than spline length/count the cases and internals are interchangable(too some extent).Early models used needle bearings on the shift/syncro hubs,late models didn't(it still can be changed).All of the HD SYE's will work in any model/year.The part I'm not absolutely certain of is the difference in the mainshaft.What kind of SYE do you have?And which mainshaft did you use?

Jess said:
not sure about the yj, but for the XJ the 231 pre-91 case was 21 spline while the 91+ is 23 spline.

You can bolt up a 23 spline xfer case to a 21 spline tranny just fine. Nothing will happen when you put it in drive though. :}

They changed the gear cut in 95. You can compare the gears and your 2000 gears will be visibly different. You need a 95 or newer case to be able to interchange parts. A 91 or newer will work for your application if you just move the SYE over.

The only thing i could see making this a issue is the bearing set up from make to make on the np 231. The bearings have been swaped but the very small amount of difference could be whats making the chain rest on the sync sleve :/ Its only a small amountof space making the chain unable to move. Spline is not an issue.

RCP Phx said:
Other than spline length/count the cases and internals are interchangable(too some extent).Early models used needle bearings on the shift/syncro hubs,late models didn't(it still can be changed).All of the HD SYE's will work in any model/year.The part I'm not absolutely certain of is the difference in the mainshaft.What kind of SYE do you have?And which mainshaft did you use?

Unsure was in the case when bought all I have to go on is that it is stamped AT on the shaft.

We pulled a transfer case, for our '95 Cherokee, from a junkyard '94. We were told that a '94 or '95 would be compatible. As it turns out, ours was built in October '94. We're not sure when the '94 was built, but the tailshaft is clearly a different length. They are both 231s. The one out of the '94 has a rubber boot. We were about a minute from trying to make the switch anyway, but a phone call or two seemed to indicate that might be a bit hasty. I can't find anything to indicate whether or not we have an option using the transfer case we bought. Has anyone run into this problem? Are we screwed?

Back