• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein Mounting Adapter (help)

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at getting Bilstein's 5150 shocks for up front. I know how to measure for the shock length but I am unsure about factoring in the top mounting adapter. I know there are a number of different ways to go about but regardless of what I choose do I need to subtract the adapter length from the compressed length? For example if my compressed length is 17inches and the adapter is 1inch, I need to get a shock that has a compressed length of 16inches?

I made these for my YJ, but they would work on an XJ too. For an estimate, it looks like you can subtract about 1.5 inches out.

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/yj/stud.eliminator.htm

stud_eliminator.jpg

IMG_8528.jpg

I ran the same shocks in the front of mine as well and you can factor in an inch and a half of added length. In fact I still have an extra set of Post adaptors from Bilstein if anyone is need of some.

Oh and don't forget to factor in the bottoms if your running something other than stock down there.

Last edited:
Like I said in my writeup, Pro Comp makes a nice beefy set for $20. If 4wheel parts website didn't suck so bad, I would give you a link. It looks like you might have to call though. Here's the part number: 690001

mavrick said:
I'm looking at getting Bilstein's 5150 shocks for up front. I know how to measure for the shock length but I am unsure about factoring in the top mounting adapter. I know there are a number of different ways to go about but regardless of what I choose do I need to subtract the adapter length from the compressed length? For example if my compressed length is 17inches and the adapter is 1inch, I need to get a shock that has a compressed length of 16inches?

I don't think you need the eye to stud adapter, like is mentioned above. The upper eye on 5150's are removable. Just unscrew the upper eye mount from the shock, buy the stud adapters from Bilstein, screw on the stud adapters (like the factory shocks) and mount them up like factory. I have not done this, but have found the adapter before on Bilsteins website, and have heard that others have done this too.

HTH's
A.

I really dont like my JKS adapters. First problem I had was the mount making contact with the shock body. The drivers side is not the easiest to get on and off and I had to take them off and take them to the grinding wheel. It is a PITA to get the shock into the mount, my bushings get pushed out and now I need to replace them. There has to be a better way. When its cold outside and the bushings are hard something is making contact with something there and makes an annoying sound going over bumps.

Here are some of the ways JeepSpeed guys do it.

Picture224.jpg

Picture098.jpg

Picture092.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Here are some of the ways JeepSpeed guys do it. Mine will be done along the lines. I will also have my shock mounted about 1" further out from the factory mounting location for better shock to frame clearance when flexed.

Picture224.jpg

Picture098.jpg

Picture092.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Back