• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front zj cvoils installed

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
Finished my bastard style 2 inch lift using crown auto zj coils that I bought from 4wd.com. Took the xj in for a front end alignment. The mechanic called me up and said one of the coils was bulging to one side and that he wondered if I had the right coils. I had compared them to my old xj coils once I had gotten them out and they looked very similar to me with the only differences being that in the zj coils I counted one more whorl in the coil fropm top to bottom than in tghhe xj coil. Also the wire gauge was slightly greater in the ZJ. The diameter of the coils were the same as far as I could see. The small end of the coils were installed on top onto the isolators just as the xj coils had been.

So my question is: is there something I could have missed in the installation of the ZJ coils? Anybody else experience coils "bulging to one side"?

The only time I've heard of coils bulging out to one side was when the axle wasn't centered under the rig. Is the spacing even from side to side, i.e the axle truly centered?

Your front end is likely shifted to one side from the lift. Did you install an adjustable trac bar to adjust for that? Does one coil look farther from the frame than the other? Do the wheels look centered under the front of the vehicle? That is where I would start looking.

DOH! I was too slow in my typing.

zj coils dont give enough lift to shift the axle that far to the side to make the coil buldge, i ran like that for over a year

Well, apparently they do - this guy is experiencing a problem - just because you didnt have the same problem doesnt mean he won't!

OK, I went over to the shop. The one coil is just not seated properly. I need to just rotate the coil on its long axis about 180 degrees. Shouldn't be a major challenge as I have not yet returned the coil spring compressors I rented from Checker (btw, they have served me well).:cheers:

Thanx for all your responses.

I was able to jack up just one front corner and turn the springs by hand without any dissassembly.

JNickel101 said:
Well, apparently they do - this guy is experiencing a problem - just because you didnt have the same problem doesnt mean he won't!

2in isnt enough to notice without some precision measuring

JNickel101 said:
I'm at 3" w/stock everything up front, no issues. You're right that all XJs are different (I couldn't run 30s w/o a boost where many can) but a small lift shouldn't cause that much impact.

xjh3 said:
Rod Knee, looking for som real world experience. How much lift did those coils net you?

Just about no lift at all, maybe a quarter inch. Most of my 2 inch lift was acheived stacking coil spring isolators as spacers (which are cheap and work, btw). They are coiled tighter than my stock XJ coils, however, and have slightly thicker coil gauge which helps with my after market bumper. The sales rep at 4wd had told me that the coil springs for the V8 and I6 models were the same, which I knew was incorrect. I just bought them because I couldn't find junkyard coils for much cheaper.

Last edited:
Back