• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions before I buy some tires

Undeclared

NAXJA Forum User
I finished instaling a RRO 2 inch budget boost on my 1996 Cherokee Sport and am going to be getting some new tires soon. I am leaning toward 31's instead of 30's. Before I do, I would like to know the con's of 31's if any. I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers from searches.

- With 31's there will be some power loss, but how much and would it be that much more noticable from 30's?
- If I adjust the steering stops with a few washers to prevent rubbing on the LCA's, how much will my turn radius be affected?
- Will they rub on my fenders?

Also, does anyone havea picture of a cherokee with a 2 inch BB and 31's or 2 inch BB with 30's, I would like to compare and see which looks better.

4.0 not 1.3 bud you shouldnt notice much if any in loss of power

1. Yes there is a bit of loss in power, but not bad imo.
2. I didn't adjust any bump stops on mine... (3.5" lift tho)
3. I rub w/ 3.5 under full flex. Trimming the fenders will fix that, plus they look better.

GL with your decision, I'd probably go with 31's tho, then again I have hook up on tires and rims so it's not that bad for me...

I would go to 31's- I had 31's with 3.55 D35 and it wasn't bad. Your turn radius shouldn't be reduced by much, it is still very maneuverable. Are you planning new rime or staying with factory rim and/or backspacing? Additionally I have found that 31's are more common at retail tire stores and often times cheaper.

You won't notice the power loss after a weeks when you get used to it. There isn't much difference between it from 30's to 31's. I've been on 30s for close to 2 years and switched on some 31s the other week and didn't notice any difference.
I would look into a different lift than RRO. If you look around they don't have a very good reputation on here and other jeepforums. Also blocks and shackles are not good at all to stock springs. XJ springs are soft and will kill your probably already saggy suspension. I have had a shackle in the rear on my '01 for about 1-1 1/2years and my springs are inverted to stock height(17"). Look into a bastard pack or other BB's with at a long add-a-leaf.

Front XJ has 30s on it with a 2'' BB, that basically bumped it back up to stock height.

Picture023.jpg

I have a 2000 XJ with 31's and a 2in BB and a 97XJ with 30's and a 2in BB. 31's will rub if the suspension is flexed hard like when offroading or hitting a big hole really hard. 31's deffinently look better than the 30's also. Going from stock tires to 30's or 31's your mileage will plumit and there will be a noticable drop in power no matter what everyone says. I would say both my XJ's were pretty fast before and averaged 18-22 mpg, now they average 14-17mpg and are much slower. Now they don't even go into 4th gear until I hit 45mph so the torque converter does not lock up if you are driving in the city mileage is horible. Can't wait for 4:10 gears, it will make the Jeeps alot funner again! I will post pictures latter

Thanks for the responces. I already installed the RRO budget boost and figure it was a good learning experience. If (when) the springs start to sag I will probably go and make my own bastard pack. I think I'm going to go with the 31's unless I find some difinative reason not to. Does gas mileage suffer a great deal more on a 31 to that of a 30? At $3.50 a gallon and rising I might have to take that into consideration.

Back