• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-bolt style axle yoke Q

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
so i bought one from www.theusedjeep.com it was a crown automotive piece. it had a seal on it seemed pressed onto it and i didnt take off my old seal so i put it in sinched it down, destroyed the pressed on bushing so i found this new crush sleeve thing in the box and im unsure whether i should have put it in while using the old seal or take the old seal out and put the crush sleeve in and use the seal on the yoke? i dunno if the seals are the same or not or how to get a new one..

Hmmmm. If you want to do it right you will want to pull the carrier out of the rear axle and put in a new crush sleeve. This crush sleeve will set the pinion bearing preload. The preload is checked in inlb it requires to turn the pinion. Once this is done, you can reinstall the carrier and away you go. If none of this makes sense, then I would recommend finding someone local who can help you out.

how did you mess up the crush sleeve?? Are you sure that you did?

The thing pressed onto the yoke isn't a seal, it's just a dust cover/protector for the actual seal.

Idealy you want to remove the old seal and pop in a new one when you change the yoke. I duno how you would have messed up the crush sleeve, I've changed my yokes many a times on my D30s and D44s (have two of each, two XJs) and never had to deal with any crush sleeves.

apparently the crush sleeve i got is intended for if u change out your pinion and buy a new yoke too at the same time. i got a seal/dust cover that was on my new yoke and i didnt take the old rubber seal off around the pinion and i just installed my new yoke and it crushed the copper edge and seal of the new yoke so now i got a new one sent out to me, so i gotta pop out that old pinion seal dust cover thing?

Back