• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tacoma Leaf Springs

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
I got some leaf springs from a friend that were off his tacoma that look pretty nice. I put them on the ground beneath my jeep to see if I could use the tacoma packs as Bastard Pack Donors and from what I could tell it looks as though the Eye to Eye length of the Tacoma leaf pack is almost identical to the XJs. Anyone know for sure if it is? Id like to use the Tacoma main as my main if so, it's in a little better condition with nicer bushings on it and what not.

I think if you look close the Taco leafs arent the same width. They are a metric width. Not much difference, less than 1/4" and I cant recall if they are wider or narrower.

EDIT: I just looked it up. Taco leafs are 60mm wide. Thats about 1/8" narrower than XJ leafs.

Last edited:
why not just see if you can bolt them up? post pics and let us know how it ends up.

hmmm, i measured the width with a piece of string and there didn't seem to be any difference that i could tell. I'll try w/ a tape this time. anyone know what the eye to eye length is supposed to be on a cherokee?

would it be a bad idea to still use them? I measured the difference with a tape and it was a little less than 1/8th of an inch. I don't really see it being a bad idea if i just use spring clamps...

you'll be fine, they are minorly narrower, but you'll be ok. lets see how they work out.

For what it's worth, OME leafs are also metric width (60mm) and narrower than the stock XJ springs. The width shouldn't be a problem at all.

Even the eye to eye length shouldn't be a problem as long as it is roughly the same - the shackle will compensate for a slight difference in length. What will matter however is the centre bolt location as that will depend where your rear wheels will be positioned in the wheel wells.

gorman said:
What will matter however is the centre bolt location as that will depend where your rear wheels will be positioned in the wheel wells.

Bingo!

i tried a set on my xj, except they had deaver add a 3 leaf.
they were about 3" longer and the centering pin moves the axle back about 2.5 inches. The 33" tire rubbed the quarter panel (but that can be cut out), they were soft, and flexed very well, i would do it again if i used leaf springs again. although if you have a heavy rear rig, they will be to soft. you will also need boomerang style shakles

alright, then I'll just use the XJ main, and cut the tacoma pack up for a bastard.

Back