• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

think I got screwed at the alignment shop

spcustoms

NAXJA Forum User
I didnt really get to drive it yet but the print out they gave me with the specs on it says Jeep Grand Cherokee 99-04
mine is a 01xj.. Are they the same maybe? The shop is only down the street and I just drove it home, it seemed ok...
Did I just waste my $?

dsc00763ow6.jpg

everywhere ive searched I found that the toe should be at zero. the specs for the WJ call for like .07-.13 and they set mine at .08
guess i gotta go back

VERY Common mistake. The Dodge Caravans and Grand Caravans are a lot more the "same" than the Grand Cherokee and XJ Cherokee. I sell auto parts exclusively to professional repair shops and have to specify Grand or not every time. A lot of shop personnel think they are the same except for the plastic cladding.

Return to the shop and ask them politely if they could check this as you know your vehicle is an XJ not a WJ as shown on the paperwork. And yes you can throw in the "Somebody on the internet told me" line. It's guaranteed to annoy any service writer out there. :shhh:

Toe should be between 1/16 and 1/8 AFAIK.....not 0.

EDIT: which, is 0.0625-0.125

At least ask them to set up the heads on the rack on your truck and have them check the toe ect. It may not need any adjustments but it is their responibility to make sure the alignment is right

Yes, sounds like those settings are great, but like maybe2fast said, have them double check it...and maybe give you a printout with "XJ" at the top :)

I think the results, at .08* are OK. Toe-in is possibly off by .01*.
The toe-in specs for a '84-'89 are 0.00*= nominal, with 0.07*= max.
You'd be perfectly within your rights to ask for a second alignment, on their $$.
I'd discuss the differences between the models, and see exactly what the specs are for a '01 XJ vs WJ; they can do this without putting it on the rack.
If your tires are larger than stock, a little more toe-in is supposedly good.

I'm not sure what this cost, but the last alignment I did took about 15 minutes in the driveway and cost nothing. Check out gojeep's site for instructions.
All you need is a tape measure and a pipe wrench and a couple of sockets.

Jess said:
I'm not sure what this cost, but the last alignment I did took about 15 minutes in the driveway and cost nothing. Check out gojeep's site for instructions.
All you need is a tape measure and a pipe wrench and a couple of sockets.

Jess has the best idea, being able to do your own alignment is one of the best skills to have in your arsenall. Here is some good reading for you!

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

http://www.billhughes.com/TJalign.htm

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd take it back there. If they're crappy they'll just tell you it's the same and doesn't matter. But hopefully they'll admit a mistake and be willing to double check everything for you.

JNickel101 said:
Yes, sounds like those settings are great, but like maybe2fast said, have them double check it...and maybe give you a printout with "XJ" at the top :)

I agree, specs look good. It could say 74 Pinto at the top of the sheet as long as you know what the specs need to be your fine, and all your specs look good IMO. I would put a little more positive caster on the right side to compensate for road crown, but if it dosn't pull right your fine. However the shop should have the correct vehicle on the printout sheet that they give to the customer.

Spec for the toe-in is nominally 0*, with a range of -0.107 to 0.125* each side. You're still within spec, but your alignment was actually better before they started. I would complain that they sold you an alignment that you didn't need.

thanks guys, Im goin to hit the shop in the morning and ask them to redo it.. Doesnt sound like a big deal
also thanks for the links...
Ill post up the new print out tomm in case anyone is interested

JEFF said:
"-----. I would put a little more positive caster on the right side to compensate for road crowngive ---".
You can't change caster on one side, and not change the other side a like amount, unless you use adjustable ball joints, or physically rotate the "C".

lawsoncl said:
Spec for the toe-in is nominally 0*, with a range of -0.107 to 0.125* each side. You're still within spec, but your alignment was actually better before they started. I would complain that they sold you an alignment that you didn't need.
You pay to have them check your alignment. Generally, a shop will only adjust toe-in. Toe-in can change over time from hitting pot holes, etc. Caster and camber generally don't change, unless you bend an axle, totally wear out ball joints, or add a significant amount of lift.
I think it's a good idea to have at least one alignment when you first take possession of a vehickle, to have a base-line. It's also a good idea to have an alignment after doing major mods to the suspension, for the same reason. After that, knowing how to measure and adjust toe-in will save you money and time, since generally that's all you will need to do in the future.
Caster is also easy to adjust if you have a base-line. After having your Jeep aligned, measure your front pinion angle, using an angle finder. From now on, you can simply measure the pinion angle to determine caster.

xjbubba said:
You pay to have them check your alignment.

Maybe I'm getting old. Used to be the shop would check the alignment first and give you a quote to check it. At least places like NTB did. Of course, I've done my own for nearly 20 years now.

So is there an update? did they fix you up or was in spec?

Back