• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end whirring/humming noise

Combatcm

NAXJA Forum User
Starting about a week ago I've been having a humming noise out of the front passenger side. I can hear it going any speed. It hums louder when I turn left and then quiets down when turning right, which makes me think its the hub bearing. I have been having prior brake troubles but the rotors were cold when I checked them, so it's not the brakes.

I'm pretty good at messing around with stuff that I'm familiar with so I'd like some advice on checking this out on my own.

What kinds of specialy tools should I have handy for this. I looked at the FSM and it seems I need a wheel stud remover.

Is there anything else I need to completely service the hub assembly?

it's a front hub/wheel bearing assm. if the hub you buy has studs in it (which it should) you don't need a stud remover. but if you want you can save all the old studs incase you strip one or have one break. it's very easy to get studs out. i put the entire hub on a steel plate i've got (2" thick) and take a really bfh and pound once on the middle of the hub. all the studs come out. other wise, you could take a hammer before you remove your hub, and pound them out one by one.

oh, and you'll need a 12 pt socket (not sure what size), and a 1 7/16" socket.

Back