• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks

trblesm

NAXJA Forum User
I've been a member of this forum for like 5 minutes. I need some experienced advice. I have an 89 4 door that has around 3.5" of home made lift. I need some cheap shocks. I've checked into shocks for "lifted cherokees" and I haven't found any in my price range. I've only got about $300 in this Jeep, and that's including the free cherokee. I know that the build of different shocks can't be too terribly different from each other. I was wondering if there was a stock length shock from another vehicle that would be the same length and stroke of a 3 or 4 inch cherokee "lift" shock. I'm not prerunning or anything. Just some weekend warrior stuff. I've tried at advanced auto, autozone, and o'reily to see if anyone behind the counter could help me out and I get the usual---"You can't put any other shocks besides cherokee shocks on that thing. Anybody knows that." Any help from an XJ veteran would be much appeciated.

You can use stock length Comanche rear shocks in the back, and stock length Grand Cherokee (WITH up country suspension!) shocks in the front. These should be good for up to 3 inches of lift, and if you used bar pin eleminators or relocated the rear shock mounts higher on the axle, you could use them for much more lift I'm guessing. I picked up a set of KYB GR-2 shocks for the above mentioned vehicles for around $110 online.
These are the shocks that are recommended in the Rock Lizard budget boost article:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Back