• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Connecting rod bolt question ??

drj89xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Ive been searching and picking up alot of great info from you guys on this site, its helped me alot with my 89xj ... thanks ....
Im doing a budget rebuild on my renix 4.0, main and rod bearings, rings gaskets... while trying to torque the connecting rod cap down to 33ft/lbs I stripped the threads on the rod bolt ... My question, is that common ? now that I have to replace one nut and bolt would it make more sence to replace them all ? Ive been looking online for replacements seems they might be tough to find .. any suggestions on where to buy them ?

thx, Jason

get a hold of summit racing or jegs. spend the money on some good ARP wave lock rod bolts. rod bolts expierience a lot of stress and one should always buy the best you can get.

When you replace the rod bolts its a good idea to have the big end of the rods resized. The reason is that when you press out the old bolt, and repeat the process with the installation of the the new bolt, the knurled part of the new bolt causes the bolt to fit snugly in the rod. Which is important because that is what registers the cap on the rod. When you put a new bolt in, it changes that relationship and causes the cap to shift. Therefore resizing the big end is a good idea.

I know you're doing this on a budget, but like the others said, replace them all. Then get the big ends honed to true the caps up. It shouldn't make the hole any bigger, but make sure you use some plastigage to ensure the bearing clearance is correct.

Back