• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRICKS FOR BETTER GAS MILEAGE

JACKED COUNTRY

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am back looking for any tricks i can do to get more miles out of a tank of gas.here a list of whats done so far to my cherokee country

rebuilt 4.0l engine just over 20,000 on the rebuild so its fresh,all stock internals

4:10 gears front and back

33 inch dunlop mud tires

header with 2.5 inch exhaust with flowmaster

ff dynamics triple threat electric fan conversion kit

iridium plugs accel wires and jacobs ignition system

custom cold air intake with big k&N filter

all synthetic fluids

right now i average around 350 miles per tank but gas has just went over 3.00 a gallon now and i drive over 500 mile a week for work.i am dropping over 100.00 a week in gas and its starting to get to me.i was thinking of changing the tires to a lighter smaller tire but thats all i can think of that might help.anyone with any other tricks please let me know.

I put a Jacobs on a Mercruiser 454 when everbody said that Mercurys Thunderbolt ignition was great. It help it a lot and fumes at the rear of the boat no longer burned my eyes. What did you get out of your Jacobs over a stock ignition?

with the jacobs my truck ran alot smoother,gas milage went up by 1mpg but i did the plugs and wires and jacobs all at the same time.idle smoothness and starting was night and day over factory,felt more responsive.definetly money well spent.

i bought a civic from an old lady for cheap as a DD i am now saving tons of $ on gas lol and then on the weekends drive around my cherokee

If you can manage going to a 31" that would help alot, not only in tire diameter (gearing), but bringing the frontal area of the vehicle down a lil bit. General rule of thumb is that 1lb of unsprung weight is equal to about 8 lbs sprung weight (everything the suspension supports).

at these gas prices i can deal with going to a 31 if it will save me money,i just dont want to spend 600.00 on tires unless i am sure it will bring up my miles

zachxj01 said:
i bought a civic from an old lady for cheap as a DD i am now saving tons of $ on gas lol and then on the weekends drive around my cherokee

Isn't the gas money you save being spent on insuring a second car?

I just went from 31 Muds to 235 BFG AT's for that reason. Looks kinda "special" but it gave me 2-3 MPG surprisingly with stock 3.55 D35.
I got mine used and cost me $100 mounted and balanced. The narrower tire may be more beneficial in the winter, we'll see since last winter with the muds it drove through everything without hesitation- including plowed 2-3' snowbanks that the city so kindly leaves behind so early in the AM.

do what alot of us do, buy a civic. i got mine for dirt cheap (400$) and put about 200$ worth of parts into it and now i get 40+mpg. the jeep is sitting in my garage waiting to be repaired. but yes, smaller tires make a HUGE difference, my 31 M/T's i got less than 15, my stock all seasons got 17-19 and over 20 on highway.

JACKED COUNTRY said:
right now i average around 350 miles per tank but gas has just went over 3.00 a gallon now and i drive over 500 mile a week for work.i am dropping over 100.00 a week in gas and its starting to get to me.i was thinking of changing the tires to a lighter smaller tire but thats all i can think of that might help.anyone with any other tricks please let me know.

iv been paying over 3.00 for almost 1.5 years. right now its at 3.50 and goin up. 100 a week that would be great.

dru9 said:
Isn't the gas money you save being spent on insuring a second car?
perhaps he lives in NH where car insurance is not required :wierd:

I have a 99 limited bone stock and I can't even get 350 out of a tank. I'm at about 13 mpg right now. I've only had it for a few months so I haven't really troubleshot it yet but I would love to have 350 miles per tank.

When my 1999 XJ was bone stock, it got like 21-23 mpg. You need to do a tune up for sure! :)

JACKED COUNTRY said:
i need a truck,tools wont fit in a civic,sounds like tires is the way to go so far

Buy an old 2wd VW turbo diesel truck and enjoy mileage that rivals hybrids.

They look like this and can usually be found fairly cheap.
Rabbitamino_LH.jpg

Last edited:
i'd say live with it.. it is a jeep not a enco. car!! i'm running 35" MTR's and getting around 14-15 with the doors on and i'm actually happy!! :cheers:

Back