• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

card in the spokes sound

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
ok this sounds odd, but thats the only thing I can think of that reminds me of the sound I have coming from the Jeep lately. granted a little more solid sounding, but a constant fluttering, which coincides with wheel-axle shaft-driveshaft rpms, not engine rpms.

recent mods
hack n tap sye on 242 w/front shaft, new joints
new rubber, from 33x12.5Dayton AT to 33x10.5BFG AT
Superior Axle Tube Seals

little while ago
new motor mounts

I hear it when I drive straight, turning, or reverse. Put it in N and revved but it doesn't change with RPM's. So I am guessing its t-case, drive shaft, axle shaft or tires.
Now it sounds to rapid for it to be the tires, and I have checked the drive train from tcase out, but can't figure this out.
It sounds more like the front of the vehicle than the rear, but thats from inside as far as I can tell.

Now I have noticed what sounds like dry bearings coming from the 8.25, so I will have to replace the outer bearings on it (there are outer bearings right?) I also noticed my rear brakes need to be bled as they aren't doing very much by way of stopping me (noticed while doing sye, hitting brakes didn't stop driver side tire unless I stood on them) But other than that I can't think of anything that would make the sound in the rear.

So other than the rear bearings, I would like to figure out what this sound is, and remedy it... any ideas?

Oh and I did remove the playing card from my spokes if anyones thinking that... yet it still makes the sound.

my does this also, pull the front driveshaft & see if it goes away. mine is the cardin joint in front d/s.

billyjp2 said:
are you sure its coming fromt the rear, cause it sounds like it might be your hub assembly

actually the opposite, I am pretty sure its the front, just stating the rear to rule it out.

I will have to try pulling the shaft, going for long drive this weekend, will have to do it before I go.

thanks.

i'll bet it's your hub/bearing assm. jack up the front of the jeep and see if you can wiggle your tires up and down, like pivot them on the hub. other wise put it up on stands (all 4 corners) and run it at 60 mph in 4wd so you can get under the jeep and listen for it. garuntee it's your hubs.

Mine does this also. It's a ticking sound. It's hard to hear at any speed unless there's something beside me to reflect the sound back.

I ran it on jackstands with a stethoscope. It's comind from the t-case. I'm 90% sure it's the chain that's a bit loose.

I'm running it until it slips...then I'll fix it.

Well I didn't get a chance to pull the shaft yet, and may be at work later than expected so will have to take a second tonite before I leave

I guess it could be the hub/bearing but they are new last year, and I just had them off last week putting the tube seals on. they seemed fine then, no movement, and sounded fine when spun by hand.

I checked for zip-ties, but will keep that in mind for future pranks...

I may try the 4x jackstands and listen thing, had thought of that. But didn't think spinning tires at 60mph was a good thing without pressure on them, centrifugal force, any out of ballance cause vibes... eh will keep it slow. I can hear it at any speed over 5 upto hiway speeds when its too fast, and everything else is too loud to hear it.

I'm hoping its not the t-case chain, but if it is, maybe I'll swap in a 231 for the 242 since I have a lunchbox anyway its not doing me any good with full-time 4x4.

Thanks again for the help everyone

pulled front shaft, no change.
so after that I am thinking it maybe the t-case.

after installing a hk n tp SYE, and removing the 1" tcase drop, are there any adverse affects felt by anyone else out there.

I couldn't tell yesterday on th road drive, but will try today to determine if it changes with the tranny speed. I thought I noticed when I manually shift from OD to 3 that the sound shanged a little bit, which would make me think it could be from the toque converter back.

I am hoping its not the chain, or torque converter for that matter, but I'm not sure what other options it could be. Once we get into that mess I'll be lost.

It's probably your muffler bearing. My cousins sisters roommate had the same problem with his 5hp briggs powered 4 seater long travel sand rail.

LOL J/K, I would listen to it on jacks, and see if you can narrow down where the sound is coming from. Just stay away from the tires. They are spinning you know.

something worth checking is your rear brake cables.

every time my jeep is put on a lift by the frame and not the tires (like when balancing the wheels/tires), the pass side rear brake cable moves over against the rim and just barely hits the wheel weight.

My fix was a ziptie to hold it out of the way.

Back