• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a transmission jack really necessary?

matt1994xj

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on changing my clutch this week, i have an ax15. I did some searching on here and it looks like the exhaust has to come out to remove the transmission. Anyone have any input on that? Also like the title says is a transmission jack really necessary or will a well placed floor jack and maybe some tie downs work just as good. I will be removing the tranny and xfer case in one piece(i hope). I dont see this being a 1 man job. Thanks
-Matt

I've never done a clutch on a Jeep but I've done plenty on Audi Quattros. The Audi's are an absolute b!tch. My first clutch job was on a 4000. I did it on my own but did need help getting it back in. I probably would take the exhaust offfor more clearance. A trans jack would be sweet but I've never used one. I think you'd be fine with a well placed floor jack.

My brother and I used to do clutches on VW's all the time and those were nice b/c you could actually unbolt the last few bolts and then lower it on your chest and kinda scoot on out from under it. He removed a 1.8 liter motor from his GTI once like that. I laughed my a$$ when I came out in the garage and saw him trying to maneuver his way out from under that car with a motor on his chest. I probably wouldn't do that with an I6. :laugh3:

Welcome to NAXJA by the way.

00507.gif

My Brother-in-law picked up one of these at Habor Freight for his 4Runner, he really like it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=507

wow harbor freight never ceases to amaze me. thanks... i may have to think about picking one of those up. only problem is that i never want to remove my transmission again and i want to do this on tuesday. i did some searching on jeepforum and someone made a thing with 2x4's and plywood to fit over a jack. i might go that route.

have someone help you hold it on a floorjack. thats what i did.

but i was using a 6" diameter floorjack (the lift point i mean) so it was easier than many jacks with the tiny azzz lift point on em.

Removed my AX-15 to replace the internal slave/throwout bearing using two floor jacks. I also thought about picking up a tranny jack, but turned out OK without one. If you're doing the job alone you might need one, but two people can handle it. Used a heavy nylon strap over a 2X4 from the top of the shift tunnel to suspend the tranny going back in. That really helped. No need to take the transfer case from the tranny since two guys can easily handle it as a unit.

Unbolt the exhaust at the downpipe and at the square flange at the cat. And of course watch out for those damn reverse head torx bolts at the 11:00 and 2:00 position at top of bellhousing. Use an E12 socket, not a 12-point (don't ask me how I know!).

And of course a search here at NAXJA will turn up valuable tips. Good luck.

getting it out isn't a problem.... i just bench pres them onto my chest.... I'm not a bit guy i bench about 200 at the gym ant the trany is no problem.... however getting it back in is an other story. I have a hard problem i had a ruff time holding it up there long enough to get the pilot bearing lined up and a bolt in. trany jack is my best friend for getting them in now. i don't use it ti take them out though oh and REPLACE THOSE STUPID BOLTS on the top hehe

YES, If your doing the tran/T-case as a unit then VERY YES. Rent, brow beg but get one. Get a buddy to.

If you're doing this by yourself, then I'd say absolutely!! You need a tranny jack. If you have someone to help you, you dont need one...but you'll need at least one, preferibly two others to help balance and maneuver it.

Getting it out isn't the hard part. The removal is pretty straight forward...the two bolts on top suck big time tho...other than that it's a breeze.

Getting it back in is a different story...:smsoap:

I built my own out of a 2 ton scissor jack and a 2X6, works great. An Ax15 does not weigh much. I have pulled the tranny a couple of times with it. Cost, well the 2x6 and screws were free and jack was $12 at the part store.

i used one for a clutch job and it really helped to lined everything up to get the tranny back into place. i have used car jacks and other things before but this was easier and its a lot safer.

i rented one for 15.00 a day.

its worth it though. i was doing this by myself.

Back