• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New member, Select-trac question

Nurburgringer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering joinging the ranks of XJ owners, I was pretty close to buying this one today in fact but somebody snatched it up last night:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=233054033&dealer_id=51364707&car_year=2001&model=CHER&num_records=25&systime=1195050822303&make2=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&s

As my search continues, I'd appreciate input on whether I should hold out for an XJ with "Select-trac" instead of the much more common "Command-Trac". I'll be moving to Milwaukee next spring, and my driving will be 70% dry road, 20% snow/ice, 10% mild off roading. Will probably put a 2" budget lift and maybe 30" tires on the XJ, probably not much more modding.

I have a BMW 528 for long trips and a fun old Honda CRX for sunny day commutes.

Going to look at 2 more Cherokees on Saturday, a white '99 w/ 62k miles and a white '00 with 67k miles. Both have command trac.

thanks!
Kurt
philly

Thanks!

I love having the ability to use full-time four-wheel drive on pavement. Around here, the roads will be really patchy in winter, in terms of being snow covered, and I don't have to shift into and out of four-wheel drive.

hold out if you can, or you'd wind up like me and realize too late how much it would help to have the 'full time' option.

thanks for the replies.

I'm totally new to 4WD, so can you please give me an example of when you'd use FT 4WD in select-trac? I'm envisioning changing road conditions, 'patchy' like Timber said.

So with the 'part time' Command Trac you'd have to be in 2WD to deal with the dry areas, then manually switch to 4H if you saw a bit of snow covered road (that you're planning on making a turn on or powering up a hill, since in a straight line you'd just coast over it).

Whereas with Selec-trac you'd just leave it in full time 4H for the whole trip (when you anticipate having at least some slippery conditions) and not have to do a thing, right?

On dry roads both 2WD modes would give the same performance and fuel economy, correct?

thanks again!
Kurt

I don't use mine as a full time option here in south Texas but used to use it alot in the mountains of NW Geargia when I lived there. It is a great option in winter driving when a curve in the road which is in shade will be iced up and the area which gets full sun will be bone dry. With the 242 you don't have to shift into 4WD as you can run in 4WD all the time. The only downside is reduced fuel mileage. Hold out if you can until the right combination of options come up for sale.

Definately hold out for the Selec-Trac. I enjoy being able to drive 70 in 4WD and have no worries. Hell, the fuel economy isn't stellar in 2WD, why no be a little safer in 4WD- not to mention, it's easier.

I use mine from about December to February due to our winter roads (Toledo, Ohio). They usually have a thin film of ice on them between dusk and dawn.

good stuff thanks.

I'm finding it pretty tough to find a Selec-Tac, it doesn't help when sellers have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask, or like the last one said "You don't want the full-time 4WD, it has worse fuel economy" (this from a self proclaimed "Cherokee expert").

This one is loaded (I could do without the fake wood and leather, but at least the seat are heated), but it's in Utah so very nervous about buying unseen (plus around $800 to ship to PA)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180176397768&rd=1

cheers
Kurt

The full time system he may be referring to is on the Grand Cherokee- which sucks. If you change on tire to a new tire, you are supposed to change all four with those systems or it screws em up as I am told.
The Selec Trac is not 4x4 all the time unless you choose to use it as such, there is still a 2 wheel drive mode selectable. With any 4x4 you will get worse fuel economy than the 2 wheel drive equal. If you do not hold out for selec trac, you will likely be looking to change your transfer case in the near future- my Step Father bought a Sport without Selec Trac and he has been searching for a NP242 since- easy enough to find in a bone yard but why go through the trouble- buy it right the first time.

thanks Woody

my Step Father bought a Sport without Selec Trac and he has been searching for a NP242 since

Just curious - what is his reasoning behind wanting the Selec trac? Those of you with Command-trac, do you find yourself frequently having to change from 4 to 2 WD on the road? Since driving in 4 with the CT on dry roads can damage the drvietrain, I imagine that to be safe you'd only engage 4WD on the road if it's completely iced over (in which case nothing short of a tank is going to be much use), deep snow, or you're stuck in 2WD and have to power out (in a straight line). Sound about right? If so, I can really see why the 'FT' 4WD of the ST is a big deal - set it and forget it.

Kurt

His reasoning was that in NH as in most places, there are nice clean parts of the road with very little snow and others where the plows have not even touched. Also, if you can't drive that well in 2WD in the snow it's helpful. I think it's just us "lazy Americans" as we are so frequently called wanting one less step.
Additionally, if my mom ever has to drive his Jeep due to hers being sick, she isn't that knowledgeable about the whole shifting into and out of 4WD at the appropriate points- not to mention the damage it can cause if you "forget" it in 4WD.
Personally, I used to deliver newspapers at 2AM and it came in very handy as the plows are hit and miss at that time.
It is a more comfortable and less imposing system for a novice 4x4 driver- especially those unaware of the consequences of 4X4 on dry pavement.

Driving on dry/wet pavement in Part time is do-able w/o causing any binding so long as you aren't trying to parallel park, going through a plowed Taco Bhell drive thru trail shouldn't be a problem. The 'Backlash' that is introduced to the T/C chain is increased the more it is done however...

91Woody said:
The full time system he may be referring to is on the Grand Cherokee- which sucks. If you change on tire to a new tire, you are supposed to change all four with those systems or it screws em up as I am told.
The Selec Trac is not 4x4 all the time unless you choose to use it as such, there is still a 2 wheel drive mode selectable. With any 4x4 you will get worse fuel economy than the 2 wheel drive equal. If you do not hold out for selec trac, you will likely be looking to change your transfer case in the near future- my Step Father bought a Sport without Selec Trac and he has been searching for a NP242 since- easy enough to find in a bone yard but why go through the trouble- buy it right the first time.
Some Grands came with the 242, but I think the one you're thinking of is the NP249. It's a viscous-coupled t-case, and it is super expensive to repair due to the viscous coupler. The prices for just the viscous coupler and seal kit tend to range from ~$350-~400.

For what you're planning, a Command-Trac would be worthless and I reccomend holding out untill you find a 242 equipped truck. I've also found that the whole it gets worse mileage is complete BS. For most of my driving, mine gets the same mileage (14-16mpg) in full time 4wd unless I'm in heavy, slow traffic or it's freezing you rump off cold as it does in 2wd. I've also found the truck to be easier to handle and gets better mileage in full time if I'm running in strong winds (both head on and cross)! One trip with my parents and sister in the truck netted 17mpg in 2wd while full time netted 19mpg hwile driving in heavy cross winds (literally with the steering wheel turned about 15* off center into the cross wind!) Only downside is that it seems to be impossible to find one that also has a limited slip in it as well as the 242.

Timber said:
Some Grands came with the 242, but I think the one you're thinking of is the NP249. It's a viscous-coupled t-case, and it is super expensive to repair due to the viscous coupler. The prices for just the viscous coupler and seal kit tend to range from ~$350-~400.
I believe the Limited's came with that waste case *I mean transfer case* and that is the one I am talking about.

i have about the same plans as you, and i just bought a 99 Limited...and just LOVE the 242 t-case....its been raining a lot the past two days and i've been trying my butt off to break the wheels loose...turning, accelerting, etc...no luck, haha. and im in the hills of east TN.... (i think i have this secret hidden ambision to make an auto-cross XJ, haha)
i drive it all the time in Full-Time...i already get poopy milage due to all the hills.....trip computer says about 13mgp over the last 2 weeks. and the tank goes empty about as fast as my 1990 2wd... *shrugs*

when i started shopping, i was pretty much just looking for the newest XJ with the full-time option....so, i'd say look for a 1999 model. the 2000 and 2001 have that chronic head cracking issue that i didn't want the headache of...and im sure you don't either.

for the 242 t-case....i found that pretty much all the top trim models had them... depending on the years, the Classic or Limited. (i think it was the Classic...maybe the Country?)
a Sport model with the 242 is probably so rare you'll never find one.....im sure if any exsist it's cause someone did the swap after the factory, haha.

I just bought my second Command-trac Cheokee because I've never been able to find a Select-trac. What is required to convert besides the new transfer case? I thought I read someplace that the front axle was different, too. By the way, I asked one long distance seller if his Cherokee was Command-trac or Select-trac, and then clarified my question to "you know, part-time or full-time 4wd?" There was a long pause at the other end of the line, and then a somewhat subdued "it's not four wheel drive..." Glad I asked the question or he would have shipped me a 2wd Jeep!

Ken

Nurburgringer said:
I'm finding it pretty tough to find a Selec-Tac, it doesn't help when sellers have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask
I looked around Chicago for about a year and a half before I finally found one with the 242. I got real good at looking at the pictures online to see if the xfer case lever had 4 or 5 positions.....When I e-mailed I just asked if 'that little lever' had 4 or 5 total positions on it (including the 'N') Or if I talked to someone does it say '2wheel' '4part' '4full' 'N' '4LO' OR just '2wheel' '4part' 'N' '4LO' ? Go ahead, call a jeep dealer and ask the salesman-he won't know either....:eye:

muchos gracias for all the replies

KinesthesiaDrums said:
a Sport model with the 242 is probably so rare you'll never find one.....im sure if any exsist it's cause someone did the swap after the factory, haha.

Well, I found one!

A local place has 3 XJs: one jacked up black '98 with CT (didn't see it in person but pics don't look bad - nice simple wheels possibly 33"tires, good looking aftermarket bumper) for $6k, one bone stock white '98 Classic with ST and 97k miles for $6k, and on ultra rare green '99 Sport with ST and 80k miles for $7k.

I test drove the white '98 - everything works, surprisingly smooth and squeak free ride, carfax is clean with a bunch of service/chassis lube/brake check/oil changes done at a local midas. Pretty clean undercarriage, with the exception of some seepage from the bottom of the transfer case and front of the oil pan. Fairly new looking shocks, rear leafs a bit saggy. Nice aftermarket stereo with AUX input (nice for the iPod!). Shifts through all TX case modes fairly easily - did not go from PT 4H to 2WD immediately, had to drive a little bit until I could turn the wheel without binding. I imagine this is normal, right? right!?!? :) Drove on the highway up to about 65 in 3FT, no strange noises or funkiness going on, I can see why it would be nice to put the 242 in this and just drive when the road conditions are iffy.

The green Sport had steel wheels, relatively clean and leak free difs/tx case, but no cruise control and seems pricy at 7k (although having possibly the only Sport with a 242 is priceless...)

Tomorrow will look at a '01 with the 231 and only 67k miles, he's asking $6k but unless it's freakin new all over I'll pass for a 242.

Do you think 6k all in (basically a discount of $500 with taxes/tags considering I want to change the oil, dif and TX case fluids and install new seals all around.) for the white '98 is too much? I see some similar ones about 1.5 hours away on Craiglist for much less, but called the seller and he's flaky - doesn't give VIN # over the phone, a bit argumentative etc.
Also, not thrilled with how it looks in white with white flares... a bit too prissy, but then it's a Cherokee so it could be pink and less prissy than 90% of the 'trucks' out there.. maybe a set of cheap black MT rims, black front bumper and some rock guards would toughen it up..

thanks for reading :)
Kurt

Back