• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Swap and ABS

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know the standard response - yank the ABS when doing the swap - but that isn't nearly as interesting is it?

:)

Anyway, has anyone attempted to do this swap and retain the ABS?

Where is the ABS exciter ring? On the ring gear? On the drum?

Background: I have a Scout D44 with ARB I want to swap in. Was thinking of doing rear disks at the same time. My Jeep is a 2001 Sport. I haven't gotten my FSM yet...

r@m

The tone ring on your D35 is on the carrier.The D44 never came with ABS,with the possible exception of the new WJ aluminum 44.

RCP Phx said:
The tone ring on your D35 is on the carrier.The D44 never came with ABS,with the possible exception of the new WJ aluminum 44.

How does the tone ring attach to the carrier? Is it bolted or press fit or...?

Just wondering if it is possible to relocate to the new carrier or if the WJ one can be moved (if it fits).

The tone rings are not located on the carrier, unless they changed it after 96. I never looked at my old 35, but the ABS wires went to the end of each axle tube. If there is a tone ring on the carrier, then there is a wire entering the housing somewhere, plus if there was only one ring, how would it differentiate which wheel is slipping and which one isn't.

The hardest part would be getting the ring machined to fit on your new axle shafts and fitting inside the drum. Then you have to drill into the backing plate to space in the sensor properly from the ring. I don't think it shoudl take much more than that, but I can't see it being easy either. _nicko_

Last edited:
The ABS tone rings are pressed onto the shafts, not the carrier, they are located inside the brake assembly area... however, the D35 has a different carrier for ABS applications that has slightly different internal dimensions than the non-ABS carrier (I dunno why, but they do,) which is why there are 2 different locker part numbers. You can use a non-ABS carrier in a ABS axle, and vice-versa.

Gearwhine is correct in his overall analysis of installing ABS in a D44... you'd have to get the D35 tone rings to press onto the D44 shafts and then mount the sensors to the housing end somewhere... easier said than done, but not impossible.

Lawn Cher' said:
Gearwhine is correct in his overall analysis of installing ABS in a D44... you'd have to get the D35 tone rings to press onto the D44 shafts and then mount the sensors to the housing end somewhere... easier said than done, but not impossible.

Hmm, doesn't sound that hard at all. :)

Ok, I'll try to scrounge up a cheap D35 rear and see what it looks like when I take it apart.

T!

Hmm...Sanity check in aisle five please

I've done a little more digging on the tone ring, etc.

Found one of the pirated FSMs online, looks like the tone ring is a farily large disk if the images can be believed.

What I'm thinking is that the easiest way to keep ABS MIGHT be to:

+ use WJ D44 shafts,

+ press in some new tubes into my Scout diff housing (correct length, etc.),

+ weld the WJ outers/disks onto the new tubes,

+ Bolt this puppy into the XJ.

Does that make sense? Is it feasible?

Are WJ axle shafts "normal" 30 spline Dana 44 shafts or is it also some kind of defanged axle part?

Maybe I'm missing a more obvious/simple way to do this?

I've got the front sorted out (I think) - going to use a Rubicon housing with my D30 outers and ARB. Just easier for my purposes. I'm not worried about breaking shafts or clearance, it's center section flex.

T!

Well that is alot of work.If youve got access to all the fab equipment than anything is possible!I personally bought mine because it didnt have ABS and I wont own one until Im forced too!

RCP Phx said:
Well that is alot of work.If youve got access to all the fab equipment than anything is possible!I personally bought mine because it didnt have ABS and I wont own one until Im forced too!

No worse than custom Waggy/F250 HPD44 - at least on the surface it should be easier I suppose - if this "recipe" will work.

ABS works. It's worth the hassle, IMO. Especially on a daily driver that will see real winter. That being said, a "master off switch" will be plumbed in for when on gravel and/or wheeling.

Mine had ABS and now it doesn't ;-)
The tone rings are on the axle shafts of the D35 and the sensors are located on the backing plate or end of the axle tube if memory serves me...this was on a 92.

Bigger tires screws w/ the ABS anyhow...the system will think the rig is moving slower than it really is.....and thus the brake control will lessen the response.....pretty bad combo.... I assume youll be running larger tires if your doing a 44

Regards
Chewy

32s, nothing elaborate. Minimal difference from stock

Back