• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" ??

You can make anything fit. You will probably have to relocate the spring perches and a figure out what will work to make the drive shaft fit. Should be pretty straight forward.

Other than having the same width you aren't getting much advantage out of it over you 8.25. It should have 28 spline shafts with small bearing pockets and an open rear end. This can all be upgraded to 31 or 35 spline stuff with some work.

i was plannin on upgrading it.i just wasnt shore about the width of it fittin under.I plan on upgradin to a TruHi9 and eather 35 or 42splin axl shafts.Thanks

Last edited:
I put one under mine with my narrowed HP44 (waggy width) and it works pretty well. it still has the 28 spline stuff, but has disk brakes and came with a posi unit stock. most 9" out of cars had factory posi units (kind of like the eaton unit, but they are not rebuildable).

here are a couple pics, they arnt the greatest but it is only an inch wider than stock.
004-1.jpg

001.jpg

051.jpg

021.jpg

018.jpg

is it going to be harder for me to find axl shafts and changin the gears since its out of a car??Or are there not really any diffrences with it being a car or 4x4?

stuckinice said:
is it going to be harder for me to find axl shafts and changin the gears since its out of a car??Or are there not really any diffrences with it being a car or 4x4?

if you get chromo shafts, have them custom made. moser does a great job..

moserengineering.com

1 lasthing will the 3rd member be able to handle 35splin shafts.sorry be being such a pain but i want to do this once and not have to worry.thanks

stuckinice said:
1 lasthing will the 3rd member be able to handle 35splin shafts.sorry be being such a pain but i want to do this once and not have to worry.thanks
Same as any rear end, you need to have the correct side gears or locker to work with the shafts you desire to use. 28 and 31 spline are very common, as the 28s came in 66-77 Broncos and the 31s came in F trucks and 78+ Broncos. I.e., you can't use the same Detroit with 28, 31, 35... I've never heard of 42 spline and am skeptical such a thing exists. Most Bronco owners find quality 31 spline shafts are good for up to 36" tires in most applications (as big or bigger as most people could ever get under an XJ). The 35 spline shafts are spendy and are for high power, big tire rigs. Honestly, if you're really going to spend all that money on a Tru Hi-9 third, plus shafts, etc., you could be more selective about what 9" housing you use to begin with. Heck you might be better of buying a brand new one from Currie or elsewhere.

Back