• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

80-90 in NV242

waskie

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought the XJ last weekend, and was told that it had been fully serviced (fluids) of course I asked for the records. I took a closer look today because I plan to do a tuneup this weekend and noticed they refilled the transfer case with 80-90 Gear Lube, I know that it should be ATF and plan to drain and fill tonight. My question is could there have been damage from the mistake and is all I need to do is drain/refill?

Moral of the story, check all fluids when you buy from a Ford dealer!

No.

ATF is a hydraulic fluid more than a lubricant. Gear oil is a lubricant.

I don't know why they put ATF in the T-cases. And I know of a few folks (myself included) that run 80-90 in the t-cases. No problems so far. (5 years and counting)

EDIT. I forget if the 242 has the full time option... if it does, than swtich back to ATF.

80-90 wt in a 242 will be too thick for the pump. If it works in some and not in others I would surmise that the pump is worn enough to allow for the increased viscosity of the heavier gear lube. 231/242 TCs were built to use ATF Dex II or III not 80-90 wt. ATF is very thin compared to 80-90 wt.
Hope you haven't done any harm to the pump.

KarlVP said:
Doesn't it have the viscous coupler? I tatered one of those in my 318 powered jeep. It had a 249 t-case that wen't poo poo on me at a race.

No, the 242 doesn't have the viscous coupler.... I'm nursing the 249 out in my ZJ also.

To the OP, I hope you haven't damaged the pump... That 80w90 is way,way too thick for the 242. I would do a couple of drain/refill/drive/repeat cycles over the next week to get all that GL out of it.

I wouldn't use 80w90, but I've been reading about people using 10w30 or 10w40. I'm probably never going to do it, as I don't see any benefit other than having one less type of fluid to store.

I would go back to where you got it from and make them replace the fuid then drive it, and make them replace it again.

Back