• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Radiator Hose

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
I can't seem to get my hands on a lower radiator hose that has the spring and I was unsuccessful, after numerous attempts, to get the spring in the new hose. Has anyone run one without the spring? I had a buddy idle my Jeep between 2500 and 300 RPM'S for a few minutes and the hose sucked in a little bit. I also had him floor it up to about 4-5K for a few seconds and it was sucked in a little more. What do you guys think?

If you have to, cut the spring in three pieces and stick them in there. If you try to screw the spring in, turn it against the twist of the coil, if you turn it like a cork screw the spring expands. I rub the inside with plumbers lubricant (or KY jelly) :).
I've always managed to get the spring in, in one piece. But noticed the Dealership most often cuts it in three pieces.
Some after market lower hoses are stiff enough the spring (likely) isn't absolutely necessary, but the dealer lower hoses are pretty soft and pliable.
You may get away without the spring, but over here (with no speed limits) having the lower hose suck down (without the spring) is fairly common. And one of the first things to check. if you are having high speed (high RPM) overheating.

Never used a spring. When I got the Jeep it had older more flexible/squishy hoses. Never caused a problem then. When I did my water pump/radiator I replaced the hoses with AC Delco hoses. No spring, although stiffer. Fine as well.

Blaine B. said:
Never used a spring. When I got the Jeep it had older more flexible/squishy hoses. Never caused a problem then. When I did my water pump/radiator I replaced the hoses with AC Delco hoses. No spring, although stiffer. Fine as well.
My 87 came from the factory without the spring. Kept overheating on the autobahn. I got lucky one day and noticed the bottom hose sucked almost flat while I ran the throttle up to 4-5000 RPM by hand at the TB.
On another XJ the spring slide down into the radiator, I guess during installation and would overheat at high MPH. Four inches of hose without the spring was enough to suck almost flat.
You can believe whatever your experiences tells you is likely, my eyes have told me another story. Smart people learn from other peoples funk ups, skeptics are bound and determined to learn from there own funk ups.
Many times my philosophy is, why not, instead of, is this really necessary? I keep telling my son, good enough may just be good enough, but the right way most always works out for the best.

Mine doesn't have a spring but I think it's pretty stiff. I don't have any issues. Well, with my lower radiator hose anyways...:looney:

Make a spring like coil out of a coat hanger. It may not be 'springy' but it will keep the hose from collapsing.

Back