• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'84 2.8 stalls from quick revs when cold

november

NAXJA Forum User
Somehow I fit everything in the post title...

When the engine is cold and I start it, everything seems normal, nice purr, (well, acceptable purr). If I give it anything resembling a quick rev it will immediately sputter and, if I keep the pedal down, die. I can slowly accelerate though (VERY slowly) to higher RPMs.

I do that dance about a dozen times, taking about two minutes total, then everything suddenly becomes fine and I can gun it like a pro again. No more problems until the engine gets cold.

I just narrowed this problem down today (was going off a vague description my girlfriend gave me earlier) so I haven't done any diagnostic checks yet. Any ideas where to start looking?

1984 XJ V6 2.8L

Sounds like a choke.
The 84' should have an electric choke. For you folks who were 3 when this Jeep was build and have no appreciation for antiques, the 2.8L in a Jeep is carburated and doesn't even have a computer to ask what the problem is. Thank God this unit has electronic ignition or we'd have to school you on points too ;)

Cold weather issues, like the one you mention are comon on carburated units of all makes. Make sure your pull off motor actuator works. To check, look at the pull off actuator and start the vehicle. You should see it pull in and lift the choke off the throttle bore by about 1/16" to 1/4". From what you describe, it sounds like it may be working as the vehicle continues to run after started.

The electric choke is also a simple mater, check to see if there is current draw at the choke lead when the ignition is on, and the engine is cold. I don't remember if there was a thermostat for that as it's been a few days since I owned one.

Make sure the linkages do not stick. Do not lubricate, but spray down with carb cleaner.

Lastly, this is not a fudgin EFI unit. You must "set" the choke before starting (push to floor and let off), also, you must allow time for the intake manifold to warm up enough to support proper vaporization of fuel. I used to start mine, and head into the house for a cup of coco. When I came out, it was good to go.

Setup of the 2.8L and 2.5L carburated units should be in the Hayes Manual, page 1-21. Setting up a choke so it works is more art than science. You can read the manuals, set the links to the specified numbers, but sometimes, you just have to futz with them. A lot of folks said "Fok it!" and bought a manual choke conversion kit.

Enjoy! Welcome to the "Good 'Ol days" :D
I really enjoyed the vehicles I had with chokes as each vehicle seemed to have it's own personality when cold.

Ron

Last edited:
Back