• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM skid plate and steering

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys, I need to tap the collective knowledge/experience. I did a search in the forums and couldn't find anything about this problem, so here goes.

I just installed the factory front skid plate. I tested the steering for clearance and the drag link comes VERY close to the bottom lip of the skid plate. This occurs with the wheels turned to the right and the right front jacked up a bit. I can't get my jack to go high enough to simulate full articulation so I will have to find some object to flex it tomorrow. It looks like if I go higher the bolts on the camber adjustment will run into the skid plate. I know the axle goes back as it droops but it still looks too close.

Has anyone had any issues with the factory skid plate interfering with steering after a lift? My Jeep has a 3" Skyjacker lift with JKS disco's.

I have included 3 pictures to help.

Thanks!!
489-8962_IMG.jpg

489-8963_IMG.jpg

489-8964_IMG.jpg

That is good to hear Alexer03. With your 4.5" lift it seems the clearance would be closer for you. Maybe I am worrying about nothing. I may shim it tomorrow, if necessary, after testing on an appropriate obstacle. Thanks for the quick response!

I've had a 3+" lift with the factory front skid for years, and have had no issues with clearance of the steering. Every heep is a little different, though.

I don't think the skid does much for a lifted rig, though it might help limit the flex of the front unibody. I've had fewer issues(knock on wood) with my steering box and track bar mount than other people without the skid. But then a 3-4" lift doesn't stress out parts like a higher lift.

Fred

Good! Another positive experience! I think the skid will help a little bit to protect the steering gear but I really wanted it to keep mud, water, etc. out of the engine compartment. That and I wanted a place to put my JKS storage pins! I'm tired of bungee cords...:D

if all you are worried about is the bolts on the adjusting sleeve hitting the skid, spin the sleeve over so the bolts are on the other side.

GrimmJeeper said:
if all you are worried about is the bolts on the adjusting sleeve hitting the skid, spin the sleeve over so the bolts are on the other side.

X's 2

you also might be able to switch the direction of the stabelizer bolt to gain another .5 inch on that part.

It looks like a 1/4 turn on that sleeve would get the bolts out of the way. This will change my toe, right? I haven't messed with that sleeve enough to know how much of an effect 1/4 turn would have. The direction I would want to turn it would apparently 'toe-out' a bit judging from the threads. Is this 1/4 turn insignificant?

Dont spin the whole sleeve, just loosen the bolts and spin the collars. Reposition them to the top or rear.
Do you have a drop pitman arm? The second picture looks like you do but in the last picture, it looks stock.

XJ AV8R said:
Good! Another positive experience! I think the skid will help a little bit to protect the steering gear but I really wanted it to keep mud, water, etc. out of the engine compartment. That and I wanted a place to put my JKS storage pins! I'm tired of bungee cords...:D

You might want to check the clearance of the pins first before you mount them. If you have factory offset wheels, when you do full turn and articulate the tires are going to hit. I just tested this out as I was going to mount mine this way. I decided to make a new mount, from flat stock, that mounted futher back. It keeps the pins away from the tires. About the only thing I haven't fully tested is they are over the drag link. With my XJ flexed out and hitting my bump stops, there is about an 2" or so clearance. This should be enough but I also have raised my stops on the axle 2" to limit max up travel. YMMV but I figured I would mention this.

Ray H said:
Dont spin the whole sleeve, just loosen the bolts and spin the collars. Reposition them to the top or rear.

Gotcha...I will look at this closer. Thanks for the description.

Ray H said:
Do you have a drop pitman arm? The second picture looks like you do but in the last picture, it looks stock.

My pitman arm is stock.

xj_mike said:
You might want to check the clearance of the pins first before you mount them. If you have factory offset wheels, when you do full turn and articulate the tires are going to hit. I just tested this out as I was going to mount mine this way. I decided to make a new mount, from flat stock, that mounted futher back. It keeps the pins away from the tires. About the only thing I haven't fully tested is they are over the drag link. With my XJ flexed out and hitting my bump stops, there is about an 2" or so clearance. This should be enough but I also have raised my stops on the axle 2" to limit max up travel. YMMV but I figured I would mention this.

Good stuff xj_mike. I have aftermarket wheels with more offset than stock (MB Type 62's). I will check out the clearances. Hopefully I won't have to change the mounting location, but it sounds like your brackets solved the problem. I will find out shortly...waiting for the garage to heat up:shiver:

Later,

Scott

i had a factory skid and with my lift, it didn't cover my steering. I was only at 4.25"

You might want to consider just taking it off if you're worried about it. I've read that once you go above 3 inches the stock skid becomes kinda useless since it doesn't offer the same protection. Of course, I guess it is good from the standpoint that it keeps water from splashing on the alternator.

spinning the whole sleeve won't change your toe at all since it is the sleeve on the draglink. all it will change is your wheel will be slightly turned. but 1/4 turn on the sleeve won't even be noticable.

redneck23ms said:
spinning the whole sleeve won't change your toe at all since it is the sleeve on the draglink. all it will change is your wheel will be slightly turned. but 1/4 turn on the sleeve won't even be noticable.

Yep, I was thinking about the wrong adjustment. I turned it 1/4 turn and the clearance looks much better, and it didn't noticeably displace the steering wheel. I just installed the JKS disco storage pins on the front skid plate and there isn't any interference with the tire either. Good to go! Thanks for your help guys.

Back