• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold Air Intake

You sure can. I had one I got on ebay on mine. It was just a cheap one but you can get much better quality ones so long as you don't mind paying for it.

Pretty self explanatory, couple of nuts in the bottom of it. When you look at it you will see how. There are many types of air tubes out there, pick the one you want. Many of the come with air filters, do yourself a favor and buy a decent filter.

Just throw them away.....I'm kidding. Any good air tube/FIPK will have "nipples" on it to re-connect them.
Look on ebay to get an idea of what types of tubes/FIPK's are out there 'til you find what you want.

xjwisconsin said:
I have always wondered what you do with the line that comes up from the engine into the front of the air box (the pre-heater or such?)

You mean the EGR or whatever?

Dunno, I guess you cap it. That's only for Renix tho.

dont belive it ive read on here many have noticed no difference with performance aand a true cold air intake will be more than just a fancy looking filter that goes on the end of a pipe all you will do with those cheap ones on ebay is make it a warm air intake as it will now be pulling in the air from under the hood instead of the original witch i belive gets it from behind the headlight put a louder muffler on it the increased noise will give you the illusion of more h.p. and of course washing it and cleaning it always seem to make it run better

Last edited:
Blaine B. said:
You mean the EGR or whatever?

Dunno, I guess you cap it. That's only for Renix tho.

no, there not for the egr. there for the flap at the front of the airbox.

if you get rid of the airbox, those lines arnt needed. the lines get capped at the vacuum junction ontop of the intake next to the fuel regulator.

the hose on a renix that needs to go to the cold intake is the front hose on the valve cover.

Apologies I didnt make my self clear. I am asking about hose that comes off the engine block just under the manifold (88 Renix). It connects to the left front of the airbox (if you are looking head on)

xjwisconsin said:
Apologies I didnt make my self clear. I am asking about hose that comes off the engine block just under the manifold (88 Renix). It connects to the left front of the airbox (if you are looking head on)

not needed. thats just a hose to get hot maniflod air into the air box during engine warmup

megabyte5689 said:
Would it be possible to install a cold air intake on a 90 Jeep Cherokee Laredo?

No it can't be done, the 4.0 is a hot air engine.

Just kidding, but a cold air intake will gain you NOTHING.

Ok I know this may be WAY overasked but in all honesty do you actually gain anything from a cone filter intake I can't personally call it a CAI because the box seems more reliable of finding cold air then an open filter in the engine bay if this makes sense. My ? for you is this... for 50 dollars or 100 dollars am I really going to see/feel a difference anywhere or am I just going to get a bigger engine roar?

you gain a couple of horse power, better acceleration, not a whole lot though. I never did this upgrade because I'm not going to risk hydrolocking the motor. It's not worth $50 either. The motor will be louder when accelerating.

Back