• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goat Mountain / Promotory Whats out there?

GlueNTape

NAXJA Forum User
I have talked to a couple people who wheel on Goat Mountian and forest road 4610, just past Promotory park (bare with me if I spelled it wrong). Whats really out there? I have heard from some that there are some really cool trails with nick names like Tank Trap, and bumper biter. Along with a huge array of giant mud holes to play in.

I have also talked to some that are of the opinion that there is nothing out there but a bunch of overgrown forest roads.

Anyone have any experience out that way?

From what I know, goatmountain can be reached from estacada or from greenmountain road in colton.

and the other areas are just past promotory on the left.

:Let me know if any of you guys get down out there. Its not that far out of portland. :wantyou:

I used to go out there quite often, not as often anymore. If you look, you can usually find some cool stuff. Forrest road 4610 is basically an OHV park once you get onto the dirt road. as you go farther up, you get less stuff to play in because of lazy people only wanting to go halfway up. If you go up farther than the first few trails and take a couple forks off the road, theres some less-traveled trails and stuff.

Goat mountian, I haven't really had that much experiance with. My dad and I usually go up Memmalouse (sp?) road or something like that, its the first green bridge after you get past promitory. Its mostly a bunch of shooting areas untill you get farther up.

Most of its overgrown forest roads (from what I've seen), but if you look around theres some trails that go off into the woods that are pretty fun. Difficulty ranges from easy for stock rigs to needing a little more built up/tougher rig.

Goat depends on your guide. I have been in some really crazy stuff at Goat Yes I have had to pull line out there in the summer time!

IMG_4839Large.jpg

its fun in the snow as well.

IMG_3477.jpg

PAT

My one and only experience around Goat Mountain ended with a Forest Service guy telling us to leave or he'd "get writers cramp". Being the good wheelers we are, we obliged. I could've been in a different area than you're talking about, but I know it was in the general vicinity. If in doubt, just stop by there station off Highway 224 I think it is. Wish I could be back there this time of year...

Dvipercop said:
My one and only experience around Goat Mountain ended with a Forest Service guy telling us to leave or he'd "get writers cramp". Being the good wheelers we are, we obliged. I could've been in a different area than you're talking about, but I know it was in the general vicinity. If in doubt, just stop by there station off Highway 224 I think it is. Wish I could be back there this time of year...

holy crap man....you are still alive. we were just talking bout you at the last meet & greet. (all good of course). you need to get yur ass back on the trail. don't leave me alone with all these new guys :eek:

mojojojo said:
holy crap man....you are still alive. we were just talking bout you at the last meet & greet. (all good of course). you need to get yur ass back on the trail. don't leave me alone with all these new guys :eek:

Yup, still alive and kickin...in Washington DC. Unfortunately, I'm no longer a Pacific Northwesterner. I joined the Marine Corps in March this year, and have been doing some traveling ever since. I'll PM ya with the tragic events that happened to my Heep...

The first road you're refering to by the Silver Fox RV park used to have some awesome wheeling. It was closed to limited use 7-10 years ago. It had some crazy mud holes and some fun trails. Thank a tree hugger.

Goat Mountain aka Hillock Burn is off Hillock Rd. There also is some good wheeling here but it has been shut down due to vandalism to some important communication towers. There is also a couple of very large cougars up there. It's still worth the trip for the view.

I did the Ollalie Lake loop Tuesday with snow on the ground and sun in the sky. Thursday it was rainy and no snow.
Next Wednesday we'll head back into Ollalie if there is snow otherwise it will be Lolo Pass Rd.

I went up Goat MT late August and nothing was gatted off. In fact there were a ton more trails and it looked like they took out the tank traps.

the gate on the road to the towers is indeed closed. i checked twice this weekend looking for a good keydown spot.

juniorXJ said:
the gate on the road to the towers is indeed closed. i checked twice this weekend looking for a good keydown spot.

hmmm.... I was told by a guy November 3rd that it was open, and of course by the time I made my way over there this weekend it was dark and we needed to get back to town.

There is still plenty of wheeling areas up there, especially now with a few inches of snow and I'm guessing that more is falling tonight.

Back