• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New problem...have to crank for a few seconds to start.

98XJLimitedNateWV

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so my 98 has just recently started taking several seconds of cranking before she'll take off...it seems like it has to build up some fuel pressure before it will start. If I shut it off and start it again right after that it takes right off. I checked the injectors and don't see any problems there. What are some other possible causes of fuel pressure leaking off?

That would be a failed fuel line pressure check valve located on the fuel pump in the gas tank. Turn the key to ON so the fuel pump runs, turn the key to OFF, now turn the key on, then to start. It should start in 3 - 8 seconds. My 2000 has done this for the last 2 years, it doesn't hurt anything to do this forever and it is cheaper than a new fuel pump. If you get a fuel pump don't buy a cheap one, they fail again in about 18 months.

Last edited:
My 2000 exhibits a simular problems every once in a while. Most of the time it starts immediatley, but every now and then, takes much longer to crank. Usually when the outside temp is cold and its been sitting for a while it will crank like 4-5 times before turning over. My gas gauge is also off a little. I can never get it to go to the full mark, regardless of how many top-offs with the gas pump.
Would a new fuel pump also fix my problems? In response to the above issue about cheap fuel pumps, what would be a good one too get?

Same problem here in my 2000.
If you crank her over cold, it'll take too long for my liking. If I click the key to on (but not start it) and then back, then on, she'll start right up. Kind of like priming the fuel pump and getting fuel to the front of the Jeep. And once she's warm, the problem disappears.
I've been doing it for aver a year, no problems yet. I do however have a misfire in the 1 and 6 cylender. I don't think it is related. . . but if anyone thinks so, I'm open to ideas.

IH8RDS said:
My 99 does the same thing. Just annoying, but it will always start the second time.

Annoying definitely. Mine goes through these fits where sometimes it will take forever to start on the first try, and when it does, it'll run like crap for about the first 10 seconds or so, then its good to go. Eventually it will snap out of that fit, and never act up again for what could be a weeks or months.

Another one of those things I just learn to live with. As long as it starts, and eventually runs good, i'm happy.

Tim_MN said:
TIf you get a fuel pump don't buy a cheap one, they fail again in about 18 months.

X2. Fuel pump is definitely a part where it's best to just pony up the bucks for it the first time. Mainly becaue it's a PITA to change and the cheap just don't cut it.

It's also possible that your main grounds want cleaning - there are three that you should attend to (for mains,) and a few more whose locations I don't recall at the moment.

The three are:
1) Fenderwell near the battery
2) Engine block near the distributor/dipstick
3) Firewall above rear of cylinder head.

The sheetmetal grounds should be cleaned down to bare metal and corrosion inhibitor should be applied on reassembly.

Why? Because the ground is the "zero reference" for pretty much everything electronic, and it must be consistent. Crud likes to accumulate on the connections, which can cause ground troubles. It takes about a half-hour to clean all three main grounds, and it's cheap - so do it already! Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it should have been done anyhow (clean the screws as well - use a wire brush all around.)

Back