• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Upgrade

surf2snow

NAXJA Forum User
I’m looking to upgrade my 231 transfer case with a larger drive chain and 6 pinion planetary. I’ve read some where that NP231C Has the parts that I’m looking for. Can some one lead me into the right direction?

The wide chain and sprockets can be had from a 231 on a Dodge Dakota. The 6 gear planetary comes from a 241 or 242....I can't remember exactly which.

That said, I have seen several chains go bad and a couple of planetaries simply wear out, but it is rare to have a 3 gear planetary die. It is rare enough to seriously think if that upgrade is worth the hassle. Now the chain is another matter.

so does that mean that a 231 out of a dodge dakota can bolt up? i know that it is probably obvious that it can but what the hell, i'll ask the question anyway.

old_man said:
The wide chain and sprockets can be had from a 231 on a Dodge Dakota. The 6 gear planetary comes from a 241 or 242....I can't remember exactly which.

That said, I have seen several chains go bad and a couple of planetaries simply wear out, but it is rare to have a 3 gear planetary die. It is rare enough to seriously think if that upgrade is worth the hassle. Now the chain is another matter.

:lecture:

good advice

I beleive the dakota has a diffrent input spline, but I cant remember

Thanks, To all. The purpose of the change is to eliminate the possibly of the vibes that I’ m getting after I installed my lift. I installed 5 1/5” lift with SYE had new gears and bearings in the rear. I also tore apart the transfer case twice and had the drive shaft replaced 3 times. And the pinion angle is good. And having a stronger transfer case can’t be bad. I hope.

Back