• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlamp Upgrade

BloodRed

NAXJA Forum User
The company I work for gave me a $100 gift card for traveling to our New York office and doing some training to other employees. So of course I want want to buy something for my XJ. We all know the stock headlamps suck and many people do upgrades to them. When I was looking around, I found where many of the aftermarket companies sell conversion kits that replace the stock sealed lamps with replaceable H4 bulbs. Are these kits worth it and do they really help?

Here are the ones I am looking at getting:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_02.htm

Has anyone got these before? Are they direct "plug and play"? Anything to look out for?

And of course, any other suggestions for upgrading the headlamps?

I am going through this with a MB 240D. I did buy some 7 inch round Hellas. The Vision Plus are suppose to a lot better than a standard sealed beam. The Eruos are suppose to be even better. The Cibie (another company) are suppose to be a bit better than Hella, but also more expensive. It also not just the lamps, but the bulbs. There are higher grade bulbs out there in stock wattage 65/55. I bought some Osram Vision +50 off E-Bay for $31 shipped. Them (Osram Night Stalker) and Philips (Vision Plus 90??) are some newer bulbs that extentd the light pattern. I've heard to stay away from the blue bulbs.
Try this link for info:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
He has other articles of info if you look around. I usually find them with a websearch.
Tom

You can put in new headlamps with the stock wiring as long as you don't exceed the stock wattages (60w/55w iirc). There are tons of writeups and advice on here, just search. Most everyone I've read about went with this company http://www.rallylights.com/hella/200mm.asp You need the 200mm ones for the XJ. Some people go with Euro spec (E-code) headlamps as they put more light out, but they aren't legal. No one reports having a problem though. I went with the Vision Plus since they are Dot legal and just the regular 60/55w bulbs. Takes about 15 minutes to swap them out if you're leaving the wiring alone. Really simple.

Hella E codes and spring a bit more and get the harness upgrade from them, rallylights.com too.
Ignore the vision plus, go E code Hella or CIBIE which are more expensive.

Hell, I just wen to autozone and got the sylvania platinum, they're like 40 bucks each, but they're twice as bright as the upgraded from stock ones I had before. The light I see at night is easily as bright and as far out as most of the brand new rentals I drive, most of the time brighter. I'm happy with what I have. I've used the hi-po H4's and H3's in my other cars and these bulbs are at least as good, and the high beams kick bootay also for interstate driving in WV, where you really need it.

I just purchased the Hella lights from Jeepin Outfitters. Ended up being $1.01 cheaper than Quadratec with shipping. While I am waiting for it to show up in the mail, I am going to start working on building my own wiring kit.

Back