• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lets play name that leak

If it's oil, it's the rear main, easy to replace _IF_ it's lifted. The pan can be a beotch to drop/reinstall at stock or budget lifted heights. If it's antifreeze, then it's this http://www.wolfenet.org/gallery2/v/Jeep/lift/IMG_3722.JPG.html

Been there, done both. 6" of lift makes both easier. First time I've ever pulled a transmission without jacking up the vehicle. :)

Ok, when you do your rear main, use a 95ish pan gasket if your heep is older, it's 1 piece. wire it to the pan shove it up there, start the bolts then cut the bailing wire and pull it out as you go. To knock the old rear main out, get some brass rod from a hobby shop, works great to drive it out and it will follow/not screw up the crank.

It is oil that is leaking, its spattered from there all the way back to the rear axle. Figures this and another problem (some rear end humming) happens right before my 8 hour drive home. I dont have the time to do this myself, I will probably have to have a shop do it.

Yeah, mine looked just like that when my rear main seal was leaking. But first, feel in the back of the valve cover to see if it's leaking there and running down but it looks like the rear main.

the oil at the rear axle is probably from the axle

i had that same leak and it turned out to be a real PITA. replaced rear main. it quit leaking...2 weeks later, valve cover. quit leaking, then oil pan gasket...quit leaking...then tranny oil pan..quit leaking, now its the torque converter seal. and all of them end up leaking to the same place. good luck

i think every 4.0 has that leak

Damn, I'll have to change mine. Always thought all of it was the rear main and I don't feel like changing that right now. Although the valve cover should be easy enough.

Back