• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy Questions

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
1) is there anything wrong with the dana 44 thats in the rear of a FSJ waggy? I have one that im going to use the front 44 off of, now if I used the rear I would have the same width and bolt pattern. I just didnt know if it was one of the weaker 44's

2) In 1986 what tranny did they use in the waggy behind the 360?

Not sure about the tranny but I have a dana 44 out of a late 80's grand wagoneer. They are just as strong a any dana 44, they are 30 spline just like the rest and have better brakes than the XJ dana 44. They are about one inch narrower so watch your wheel back spacing, on mine the leaf spring perches lined right up to the xj so I didn't need to cut and weld those. Everything should bolt up but the shocks, and the narrower axle will make your Jeep turn tighter.

polar_jeep_04 said:
1) is there anything wrong with the dana 44 thats in the rear of a FSJ waggy? I have one that im going to use the front 44 off of, now if I used the rear I would have the same width and bolt pattern. I just didnt know if it was one of the weaker 44's

2) In 1986 what tranny did they use in the waggy behind the 360?

I havent been able to find very many companies that make aftermarket alloy shafts for the Waggy rear 44's. It should be 30 spl. The front may have the vacuum disco, but a full shaft can cure that. Just make sure it isnt an AMC20 rear.

IIRC, it was a 727.

polar_jeep_04 said:
anyone have a pic of the AMC 20 diff cover that i can compare it to

The AMC diff cover is round, no edges on it at all. The 44 will be easy to identify.

axle_amc20.jpg

I dont recall where I stole this image from, but I refere people to it a lot.

IdentifyAxles.jpg

And after I post it, I realize the AMC 20 isn't on it. Hah.

jeepboy381 said:
Not sure about the tranny but I have a dana 44 out of a late 80's grand wagoneer. They are just as strong a any dana 44, they are 30 spline just like the rest and have better brakes than the XJ dana 44. They are about one inch narrower so watch your wheel back spacing, on mine the leaf spring perches lined right up to the xj so I didn't need to cut and weld those. Everything should bolt up but the shocks, and the narrower axle will make your Jeep turn tighter.

how is it narrower? everything i have read said the front 44 is like a inch wider then the XJ 30 so should the rear be alittle wider too?

polar_jeep_04 said:
how is it narrower? everything i have read said the front 44 is like a inch wider then the XJ 30 so should the rear be alittle wider too?
Nope that is what you would think but the front is wider and the rear is narrower. If you just look at a grand wagoneer you can see that on most of them the rear tires fit completely into the fenders. If you don't like a narrower rear axle just get wheel spacers, if you like turning really tight leave it the way it is. I left mine the way it was and bought 10 inch wide wheels to help widen the stance some.

learn somthing new everyday... is there a reason alot of people use ford dana 44 narrowed to waggy width? why not just use waggy 44s? are the waggys LP and the ford HP, or is it the fords are just easier to come by?

polar_jeep_04 said:
learn somthing new everyday... is there a reason alot of people use ford dana 44 narrowed to waggy width? why not just use waggy 44s? are the waggys LP and the ford HP, or is it the fords are just easier to come by?

Thats right.........the HP ford is stronger than the LP waggy b/c of the reverse spiral

In the low pinion(waggy 44)...the pinion rides on the coast side of the gear when driving forward.

The coast side of a gear set has a greater slope to it than the drive side, creating the problem of ring gear deflection

When driving on the coast side of a gear, the ring and pinion is about 25% weaker than when running o the drive side (like the ford HP)

Last edited:
polar_jeep_04 said:
Just like C85D4x4 said the Ford is high pinion so it is stronger and gives you a better driveline angle. Plus if it is narrowed to waggy width you can take the shafts out of the waggy axle and just slide them into your ford axle. Then you don't need to have custom axles made!

how does one go about getting the axle narrowed? is that something a back yard wrench slinger can do or is that something i have to find a specialty shop do

polar_jeep_04 said:
how does one go about getting the axle narrowed? is that something a back yard wrench slinger can do or is that something i have to find a specialty shop do

You need to cut the welds around the knuckle(inner C's) all the way around down to the axle tube (be careful not to cut to far into the C's).

Then you need to get your BFH and pound them off....

After that you need to cut the axle tubes to the right length (search and you will find how to measure it the right way)
(measure 20 times ........cut once)

Then put them back on, turn them to adjust to the pinion angle you want, grab ur nickel rod and weld them on

Im sure theres more to it but thats what I know

Last edited:
What size tires are you wanting to run.. what gears... what locker...

HP44's are somewhat stronger than the LP44.. but not much... and yeah the pinion hangs down but cut and rotate it..

I was running a Waggy LP44 in my XJ w/ 36" Bias Iroks and only just recently broke it... The break was pittiful.. I lost a rear pinion so I had to get off the trail in front wheel drive and going up a long sand hill I had to spin the tires quite a bit.. something like 35mph... I spun a cap off.. It would have been avoided if the caps were welded.. In any case I beat on it on the trail and never broke it...

I just recently put in Alloy usa shafts and now have 37" Comp Trepadors so we'll see what happens...

Back