• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me oh Jeep Gurus

frankart3@hotmail

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. Ive got a 99 Cherokee, and I want to take it on a several month adventure. Ive got 1,500 US Dollars I can put into that there jeep. Im definitely hooking up an inverter, and I am curious as to what you all would recommend I spend some of that money on.

So far I removed the bottom of the back seat, and the passenger seat. I'm probably gonna build storage compartments where the passenger seat was, and level them off with the back part of the jeep so I can stretch out and sleep. I won't be off road much, just driving far and wide for a few months.

So any tips on what to replace, modify, or bring along would be much appreciated.

thank you jeep gurus,

-Frank:viking:

few months? wow Thats a hell of a trip. I agree I would def. install an inverter - a good one. As well as make sure it's tuned up really well, and a sweet stereo. Ya gotta have a great stereo for that many miles!

I'd say it depends on your budget, NOT what you've set aside.

If it were me, all $1500 would go to making sure the mechanical side was as bombproof as possible, aggressive tuneup, change all fluids, doing things like replacing seals so that a trickle leak wouldn't become a problem thousands of miles from home, bearings, lots of spare parts, etc.

But if that $1500 doesn't include emergency funds then I'd say yeah, a nice inverter, rooftop tent/hammock/sleeping arrangements, lots of storage stuff, maybe a stereo or some racks...

Check out the adventure forum, lots of good ideas there.

For 2 months?The first thing would be a woman!:)

kooter said:
lol....good luck finding a "companion" for that price and that long of time
:twak:

Mail order bride.

Preferably one that doesn't speak English.

Frank,

What type traveling are you going to be doing.

Pavement, backroads, forest roads, 4x4 only trails?

Also I have to echo what has been said about making sure the XJ is as bombproof as possible.

Give us some more info and you will get plenty of advice! :D

Glen

Depends what kind of terrain you're going to be driving in. If I could do it over again I would get skid plates, rock sliders, tow hooks, rear class 3 hitch, hi-lift jack, and maybe even a cheap locker. I put on a 3" lift instead which I regret now.

DaJudge said:
Frank,

What type traveling are you going to be doing.

Pavement, backroads, forest roads, 4x4 only trails?

Also I have to echo what has been said about making sure the XJ is as bombproof as possible.

Give us some more info and you will get plenty of advice! :D

Glen

So I will be mostly on pavement. I would say no offroading at all. I will be going long distances...from New Jersey to Washington state and all around. I have money set aside to travel, and I have about $1500 I can put into the Jeep NOW to modify, repair, or replace something, or to purchase certain parts that you Gurus consider vital for such a long trip.
I dont know much about my Jeep at all... All I know is that I want to take it on a sweet adventure and I want it to be more bombproof then it is...but I dont know how to go about making in bombproof! (but I want to learn)
So if you had a 99 Cherokee and $1500 would you replace something, or add something for such a trip? I have 175,000 miles on it now and my Jeep is all original right now...I put a new battery in it a year ago, and new spark plug wires about the same time. I had a new starter put in about 5 years ago.

I dont know nearly as much about that machine as I should, so I hope you all can give me some tips.

Thanks,

Frank

Bring a nice set of tools to replace waterpump,alternator and anything else you run into. How about an onboard shower water heater since it sounds like you will be living on the road. Maybe a ARB refridgerator. Keep us posted and maybe some of us can help you if you get into a bind someplace.

Okay, so you have had this 99 since new, it has 175,000 miles on it, and it had a new battery a year ago.
More questions.
Is it stick or auto? Probably auto, but I think they still sold sticks that year.
How does it drive? Does it make any noises? How does the steering feel, tight, loose? Does it vibrate or shake at all? What's the oil pressure like? Does it have any blowby? Any engine noises, ticking, knocking? Does it run hot? How are the brakes. Does the emergency brake still work well in 4 clicks? Does it have an auxilliary fan? Tranny cooler? Does it bounce over bumps? Is it sagging in the rear? What kind of tires, what shape?

Given my experience with my jeeps, I'd spend half of it on tires, shocks, and an alignment, the alignment at a good shop should let you know if you need to replace any steering or suspension components. I've never seen a jeep radiator last 175k miles, I'd replace the whole cooling system, I hate overheating problems. The first 11 thousand foot pass you drive over with a loaded jeep, you'll understand.

I'd also carry a spare CPS, and know how to replace it.

Fred

Hi Fred,

I will answer your questions as best I can! (keep in mind that I am not being modest when I say I know Nothing about how my jeep works)

It is an automatic. All in all it drives fine, although lately I have noticed that it sometimes whines a little when I am turning sharply, like into a parking space.

The steering feels tight I guess for the most part, although it may actually be a bit "loose". It is nothing that has ever bothered me but if it is something i should fix let me know.

I'm actually not sure if there is any blowby or not.

There is not ticking or anything in the engine that I notice. Although when I go to start her up there is often a delay...the engine rev rev rev rev revs...then Starts. Could that be the alternator?

The tires are new as of last year, and look to be in good shape.

The leaf springs are a bit flat, and it is sagging a bit in the rear.

I dont have an auxilliary fan.

I will seriously consider replacing the cooling system...do you have any idea how much something like that should cost? I will most likely have to pay someone to do it.

Thanks,

-Frank

The whine is probably the power steering. Check the fluid.

Check your air filter, if it is very oily, you have blowby. If you don't have to add oil between changes, it's not too much of an issue.

It it has to rev longer now to start, it's probably the fuel pump. That's a couple of hundred in parts from the dealer. Don't know the labor. If you have a mechanic you trust, they can check the pressure on the fuel rail and diagnose it.

You can probably live with sagging springs. There are fixes, though.

I don't know what to tell you about the cooling system. A new radiator should be less than $150, a new thermal clutch for the fan around $30, new serpertine belt, $40, thermostat, $5, hoses $40, waterpump, $30. You might be able to get away with having a good flush done to the radiator, replace the thermostat and hoses. You might get away with doing nothing but making sure all your fluids are changed and filled.

Since you don't seem inclined to teach yourself about the jeep, I'd find a reputable mechanic and pay them the $80 or so a good, thorough inspection costs. Triple A usually recommends mechanics that can do inspections for purchasing a used car, that is the kind of inspection you want.

It might be better to be ignorant, everytime I drive anywhere I am constantly diagnosing every little noise that I can hear. :roll:

Fred

Fix the cooling
Make sure your Unit Bearings are good in the front with that many miles they are at lifes end. (I replaced one on mine today and have to do one on the wifes tomorrow. 160,000 on mine and 140,000 on the other)
A powerflush on the transmission.
Some type of air compressor.
A good power inverter.
I would setup a laptop in passenger area with gps.
A good tire plug kit. Extra Fluids.
A NAXJA membership (Nation Wide XJ Roadside Assistance)

Is this going to be Summer Trip or Winter?

Thanks for the reply Fred and JWTrapper. I am looking into all of the recommendations now.

And Fred I AM inclined to learn about the jeep...that is what I'm doing here! But I have a waaaayyyyssss to go!

Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses!

-Frank

Frank these have all been good suggestions. I might add just one more. Get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) a set of tools and do everything yourself. That is the best way to learn about your Jeep. Look under the hood, crawl under the body and look at every part of your Jeeps anatomy, like looking at a beautiful woman. You can learn a little by reading about it but doing it teaches you so much more. Equate it with sex. You can look at the "Playboy" magazine or you can do your own research.

aux lighting is money well spent and i agree about the laptop with a wireless card so if you do have probs or questions perhaps the people on here could help or steer you to a reputable mechanic and keep in mind those 300 or 400 watt inverters arent going to run a coffiepot or anything like that mostly stuff like a tv or your laptop things like that. good luck. and for whats its worth i have 305,000 on mine with no major probs yet and my hubs havent been replaced as far as i know oh i forgot dont forget the digital camera and a memory card and plenty of lithium batterys. you might want to join triple a (aaa) and use their trip routing service tell them what sights you want to see grand canyon,hoover dam ,yellowstone etc. they can route you either the most senic or quickest way they call their trip service triptics

Last edited:
Thanks for the analogy Mike! I agree, that is definitely the best way to learn, and even though I am kind of rushed to get this trip started maybe I should take some time first to do exactly what you said, crawl under there and learn it. It will be worth a few weeks of postponing to at least get a little more familiar with the machine.

And thanks Kenzzz, I added your suggestions to my list, and I already have a AAA membership. I will look into their routing service as well.

Cheers,

Frank

My 2 Cents....
1) GPS I find mine to be extremely useful on trips!
2) CB Radio. You'll be able to listen and talk to the truck drivers and in case of emergency, you can always use it to get help

Good luck on the trip!
Have faith in the XJ's!

Back