• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems found today

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Took my Jeep into Valvoline today to have the oil changed(Yeah I know, but the company pays for it, not I) and they found 2 things. They said when they checked the t-case the fluid was very dark, almost black. Also, they said the front differential had water in it. Can anyone explain what this might mean and what I should do about it? I haven't gotten to 4 wheel that much unfortunately since I got my Jeep a year ago, so the t-case has only been used a handful of times. I didn't go through any deep water while wheelin', but it flooded here about 3 weeks ago and I had to drive through about a foot of water several times. Not sure what I should do at this point, but I'm at 145k right now and am planning on doing a lot of replacing of parts and routine maintenance at 150k. I don't suppose any of these could wait until then could they? BTW, this a 99 Classic, not an 88.

They are both very easy and cheap things to fix. Your ATF in your transfercase just needs to be changed, the fact that it is dark just means that it is old. Change it soon but nothing bad is going to happen if you wait a while. Your front axle fluid should get changed asap, you don't want water in there. Check your breather tube on the front axle to see if it is there and if it is torn. Also if your axle seals are letting oil leak out then that could also let water in, as well as the pinion seal.

i'd change them ASAP...i'd check your tranny fluid too....if its NOT bright red, or smells burnt, or both, i'd get a tranny flush too.

JNickel101 said:
i'd change them ASAP...i'd check your tranny fluid too....if its NOT bright red, or smells burnt, or both, i'd get a tranny flush too.

I've always heard tranny flushes at high mileage like that actually do more harm than good. Something about it breaking loose chunks of gunk inside the tranny (that might actually be holding some parts together) and the chunks floating around inside causing more damage.

At the very least, do a tranny fluid and filter change. If you want to do sort of a home made tranny flush since a simple fluid and filter change doesn't get all of the old ATF out, you could drain and refill it a few times untill you've got all new looking fluid in there. You would only need to change the filter once obviously (probably on the last time you drained it). Would take a while, but you would get the same results would you not?

"I haven't gotten to 4 wheel that much unfortunately since I got my Jeep a year ago, so the t-case has only been used a handful of times."

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but everytime you drive you use the t-case.....not just in 4 wheel drive (the rear drivershaft, as well as the front, comes out of the t-case).

i have a 99xj with 130k, my t-case fluid was dark black too, I just drained my trans with the drain plug, and filled it back up with dexron III

Sport06 is right, don't have the tranny flushed. Just change it. you should just do all of the fluids just for peace of mind. that way you know its done and don;t have to worry how long ago it was done.

The trans fluid in the transfer case is just used as a lubricant. It doesn't matter if it's dark or not. If it gets old, it isn't going to affect clutch operation. Sure, it's a good idea to change. But dark fluid in the transfer case is alot less important than dark fluid in the transmission.

99xjclassic said:
i have a 99xj with 130k, my t-case fluid was dark black too, I just drained my trans with the drain plug, and filled it back up with dexron III

maybe im ready this wrong, but why would you just drain the tranny if the transfercase was dark black?

89xj said:
maybe im ready this wrong, but why would you just drain the tranny if the transfercase was dark black?
Soemone else brought up the tranny fluid earlier on just as a sugestion for him to check it. It was off topic but just a suggestion to have that looked at to.

And please tell me the difference in flushing your tranny vs draining and refilling it multiple times???

JNickel101 said:
And please tell me the difference in flushing your tranny vs draining and refilling it multiple times???

Well, if i'm understanding the theory correctly, when you get a flush, fluid is pumped through the transmission. One would think the force from it being pumped through would be enough break any crud loose. Where as just doing a simple drain and refill isn't as harsh.

I may be talking out my butt here, but that's how im understanding the theory behind it.

Suposively.

I've heard another method was disconnecting the return line (then start the vehicle) and having it dump into a bucket or something while you pour fresh fluid in the dipstick, then stop when clean fluid comes out of the return. Then hook the lines back up and top off the pan as best as possible.

Yep, I've heard that method too...

I just think if something is gonna break lose, it would do it with the heat/pressure built up in the tranny already...I just dont see how flushing the tranny out could be bad for it - that and if you're tranny is being held together with "crud and gunk", its only a matter of time before it fails....

JNickel101 said:
- that and if you're tranny is being held together with "crud and gunk", its only a matter of time before it fails....

I couldn't agree with you more here. Same concept applies to switching to synthetic oil in the engine. If you have oil leaks after switching to synthetic, you probably needed to replace those seals anyways.

Just posting what i've heard on tranny flushes at high mileage, thats all :)

Both the tranny and TC fluid are a piece of cake to change. Pull the drain plugs, drain, replace plugs, refill. The tranny filter is nothing more than a screen on the AW4 and can be somewhat of a PITA if you haven't done one.
Loosen the bolts on the differential cover, you'll prob. have to pry on the cover to get it to release, drain, remove all bolts, remove the cover, clean out what you can from the housing clean cover mounting surface( remove any old gasket material that my be on it) and clean the cover and mounting surace on it. Inspect differential, realize you are looking at a bunch parts that you have no idea of how they work....lol, replace the cover, you can use "blue goo" or buy a self sealing gasket. they cost about $16 but work great, torque the bolts,refill, inspect for leaks.
While you are under there check the vent hose, its cheap so you could replace it, also check the disconnect to make sure water wasn't get in thru it.

On a tranny flush all they do is just empty the fluid and fill it back up. I personally would do a change myself. I would change the tranny filter also. People say if your tranny fluid has never been changed, then don't do it because of the metal shavings that could have been stuck and go through and mess things up. I seriously doubt that this will happen. I would change the tranny fluid annually once a season.

megabyte5689 said:
On a tranny flush all they do is just empty the fluid and fill it back up. I personally would do a change myself. I would change the tranny filter also. People say if your tranny fluid has never been changed, then don't do it because of the metal shavings that could have been stuck and go through and mess things up. I seriously doubt that this will happen. I would change the tranny fluid annually once a season.
We do complete flushes at work using a BG Big Dawg High Capacity Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System and have done probably 60 or 70 fleet trannys since we got it. All the trucks we do are off road vehicles. I did my 01 Cherokee at 125K with it and several other mechanics with high mileage vehicles have used it on theirs. Mine now hits the shift points quicker and crisper than it has in years.

I've never seen a transmission damaged that was attributed to a full flush done properly on proper equipment.

AMEN!

Back