• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finding a D44 for dummies

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
Have a lead on an 88 XJ Wagoneer, and I'm trying to figure out if it has a D44 w/o having to drive clear out there to look for myself. The guy doesn't know much about Jeeps, and doesn't know if it does or not. Tried running the VIN through the local Jeep dealer, and they couldn't come up with anything.... too old to have in their system. How can I tell? Oh, and he said there is/was a tow package on it (half rusted), but doesn't know if it came from the factory.

From my hunts, most common on 87 wagoneers with metric package, but that's even only 30% of the time. Get his to take a pic of the rear end if possible, that's the easiest way to check.

E-mail this pic to him. This is from my 08' JK but its a nice clean shot.

newjeep6az6.jpg

Blackchrome said:
I believe I'm correct in saying a D35 has a plastic plug and a D44 has a screw in plug...

Not so. I've got five D35's around here that use 1/2" NPT screw-in metal plugs for fill plugs... Later versions might, but the RENIX-era versions used metal plugs (what do you think the five I have are from?:sunshine: )

hot_rod_hooligans said:
Have a lead on an 88 XJ Wagoneer, and I'm trying to figure out if it has a D44 w/o having to drive clear out there to look for myself. The guy doesn't know much about Jeeps, and doesn't know if it does or not. Tried running the VIN through the local Jeep dealer, and they couldn't come up with anything.... too old to have in their system. How can I tell? Oh, and he said there is/was a tow package on it (half rusted), but doesn't know if it came from the factory.

I got mine from a 88 XJ waggy. The gear ratio is another way. The D44 has a 3.54 ratio with 13 and 46 pinion and ring teeth.
Have him read the label on the cover, if it has the above numbers I would go and see it. AFAIK the D35 all have 3.55 11 39.
The cover shape is the best indicator, oval=D35, hex looking=D44

Back