• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for help on a 350 swap!

91xj1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ 4.0L, and i am starting to look into a chevy 350 swap. I have a pre-86 chevy 350 block, and I'm wondering if anyone has any helpfull hints as to where to start and what to look for. I was thinking of grabing a old S-10 pickup for the trans and the transfercase. I heard the bolt patterns are the exact same. Please let me know if you have done a swap like this, or if you have any advise for me. Thankyou.

About the only help I can offer is that you have to get the trans from a 4.3 V6 not a 2.8 V6. The bellhousing is different. Good luck.

Advanceadapters.com - I would find a 700R4 for a trans and you can use your stock transfer case from your Jeep. Beware - it is a lot more expensive than it looks. I was going to do the same thing, but rebuilt my 4.0 instead.

The 700R4's from 4.3 V6 s-10's use a different torque converter than the ones behind V8's. Don't know if it's a problem or not, but be aware of it. Also, the older 700R4's weren't that great. I burned up one in my '89 S-10 pickup, my Dad has burned up two in his full-size Blazers. They eventually worked all the bugs out and became good trannies with lots of upgrades available though.

i built one but its not worth it in my opinion, lots of work money and frustration

Last edited:
Back