• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What tire carrier is this?

cablesmurf

NAXJA Forum User
What tire carrier is this? Is it very strong?

URL]

cablesmurf said:
What tire carrier is this? Is it very strong?

URL]

uh, i dont know about it. but why not just pm the guy that owns it and ask him?? he has a thread about it in the picture showcase. i assume thats where u got the picture. his name is MrShaft696 i think? not sure, i just remember lookin at it earlier.

yeah it looks like you got it from that thread that MrShaft696 made, just ask him about it. im not trying to be mean

Last edited:
cjsxj87 said:
That looks like a stock Chrysler tire carrier. I think a 31" tire at the most.
Never seen a stock carrier like that. The stock carrier mounts to the actual body of the jeep, not to the bumper... unless there are two different stock ones...

Tenny said:
Never seen a stock carrier like that. The stock carrier mounts to the actual body of the jeep, not to the bumper... unless there are two different stock ones...

Yes, there are two types. The older AMC style which attaches to the quarter panel and bumper, and the later Chrylser style which attaches to just the bumpers. That's the later style in the pic above.

and the guy does have a 31 on it...probably wouldn't want much bigger than that...

when I had one, I had it with a 31x10.5x15 on it, that would be the max size in my book. Its holds up pretty well...I liked it.

I run teh same with a 33 on it and haven't had any issues. Even took it wheeling with it on.

Previous owner reinforced it a little (Ubolted a 2x6 to it and painted it black :) ) and I added some stops ion it to keep it snug so it doesn't move around.

Stage3.jpg

yes it is mine, & you could have pm'd me. Anyway I made a thread about it before the server crash but I bought it off of ebay. It was new, never used in the box when i installed it. I am not sure how long the person had it but I imagine it was for a very long time. Here is some of the documentation from it and how it mounts inside the bumper.
Also without reinforcing it I wouldnt go bigger than a 31" tire, I had to make a spacer & weld new studs for mounting the tire because its not designed for a 10.5" wide tire on the stock rim.

Tire_Carrier.jpg

carrier3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. So this is a factory swing out? Probably impossible to find, huh?

BTW:

Yes, I could have pm'd the guy, but the server was causing me grief last night. It wouldn't let let me pm or post at all. Even when I made this post, it double posted. Sorry if I bothered anyone...I guess I should just go back to getting my ass chewed out on Pirate.:doh:

cablesmurf said:
Thank you for the response. So this is a factory swing out? Probably impossible to find, huh?

BTW:

Yes, I could have pm'd the guy, but the server was causing me grief last night. It wouldn't let let me pm or post at all. Even when I made this post, it double posted. Sorry if I bothered anyone...I guess I should just go back to getting my ass chewed out on Pirate.:doh:

hah its all good, and yes its a factory piece, probably wont be easy to find. Keep checking ebay and the junk yards probably your best bet.

cablesmurf said:

BTW:

haha if you're talking about me because i told you to pm him, you didn't bother me, i just knew that pm'ing the owner would be the easiest way for you to find out about the tire carrier. sorry if i came off mean, i wasn't trying to...and nah you can stay here if you don't want to go back to pirate.

Back