• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 HO questions

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 93 4.0 XJ and the previous owner beat it up pretty good. I have a few questions about it. How many oxygen sensors does a non cali 93 have? It is missing the exhaust from the down pipe back. It has one in the drivers side of the down pipe but, is there an after cat o2? Also anyone have a pic of the rotor button (cap off) with the motor at top dead center? I think the distribby is 180 out. It runs but smokes (black=fuel) BAD and runs rough. I am thinking it is a timing and o2 issues.

It could possibly be a bad map as well.

Last edited:
It will only have one O2 sensor. The black smoke is probably a combination of a bad map or vacuum leak to the map or a sticking injector.

If the distributor was 180 off it wouldn't run at all. It may be a tooth off though.

94CountryXJ said:
It will only have one O2 sensor. The black smoke is probably a combination of a bad map or vacuum leak to the map or a sticking injector.

If the distributor was 180 off it wouldn't run at all. It may be a tooth off though.

Thanks for the o2 info.

I just swapped the distributor 180 off and it ran exactly the same. So it will run 180 out.

Is it possible to get it a tooth off with the oil pump drive shaped the way it is?

got the distribby back in, found a pic on the web.

Back