• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Temp gauge help!

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok in the past year and half my 97 XJ's (4.0L auto 4x4) engine temp gauge has been acting up from time to time. It isn't a consistent problem at all sometimes I can go on a drive and drive for hours and it work fine but then all of a sudden I look down and its on the 100 mark. Other times it will do it and either after driving for a few hours straight I will look down and it will be fine or I can just turn the Jeep off for a while and it will work fine after that. It has only done this a few times but it is a little annoying. Anyone have a clue as to what is happening and what I should do to fix it?

I have heard of the connection behind the gauges getting dirty. I would start withthat because it is probably the easiest thin you can do. Another thing you should do if that dosen't work is check the wiring to the sending unit.

my is the same way but mine just at 100 all the time but when i start it, it will bounce to 260 then back to 100, so i need some help too i asked the guy at the "jeepforum" but they never helped so i thought i would come here you guys are cooler

I would check for a loose connection at the sender or a corroded connector between the sender and the gauge.

Of course, you didn't state where your gauge reads when "normal", should be close to 210 when fully warmed, if you are using the proper 195 thermostat.

my is the same way but mine just at 100 all the time but when i start it, it will bounce to 260 then back to 100, so i need some help too i asked the guy at the "jeepforum" but they never helped so i thought i would come here you guys are cooler

In my 90 when I insert the key and turn it to ON the gauge either reads 100 or drops from the last warm reading to 100, then when I turn to START it pegs past 260 while cranking then drops to 100 when cold.

I would check your sender with and ohm meter.

It ended up being the sensor itself that had gone bad. Went to the dealership and bought a new one took about 15 mins to change and haven't had a problem since and that was almost a year ago.

In my 90 when I insert the key and turn it to ON the gauge either reads 100 or drops from the last warm reading to 100, then when I turn to START it pegs past 260 while cranking then drops to 100 when cold.

I would check your sender with and ohm meter.

its a new sender and new wires but when i dropped the trans i forgot to unplug the crank sensor and ripped it out then forgot about it tried to start it and it bounced the gauge and ever since then no temp reading

its a new sender and new wires but when i dropped the trans i forgot to unplug the crank sensor and ripped it out then forgot about it tried to start it and it bounced the gauge and ever since then no temp reading

I hate it when things like that happen!

Hell, just remove the wire from the sender and have a friend ground it while the key is ON and see if the gauge pegs out. That will at least tell you if the wire has an open in it or not.

I would follow the wiring, you had to put a lot of stress on your harness when that happened. You could have a single wire pulled slightly out of a connector, and you wouldn't even see it.

Take the wire of the sender and attach an ohm meter to it, then follow that wire and poke it every 18" or so checking for continuity.

Back