• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap/anti-lock brakes

DWK

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 that has anti-lock brakes. I bought a 93 that has high-pinion 44's front and rear and I'd like to put those axles on the 96. Can anyone tell me if I need to do anything to disable the anti-lock, or the long-shot, are there parts available to "update" the 44's?

ponyracer1 said:
Cut the hoses and tape over the abs light in the dash or get fancy and pull the bulb. Just did a similar swap with my 01. (hp30/8.8)

Hoses? I would think those lines are wires (for the pick-up/sensor), and if that's the case wouldn't it be better to just disconnect it?

I guess the main thing I'm worried about is damaging the system, is the worst thing that'll happen is that the anti-lock just won't operate?

Not sure, I disconected them from the axles and cut the lines up as close to the body as I could and called it good. Breaks work fine, just no ABS. Will trip the light in the dash though. Now I guess if you have the earlier system things can get a little exciting if you do it that way.

So u want to put different axles under your rig that dont have abs capabilty?
With my 97, i swapped in some axles that were already regeared. I then taped up and zipptied the abs wires to the frame just in case something bad happened and i would have to put everything back. Better safe than sorry. Those cable are expensive.
Then i went in under the hood and pulled every fuse for the ABS. And inside the cab.
The brake system goes back to reg non ABS braking. I can lock on a dime with my 33's.

Back