• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm Red! (and Jeeped!)

Hildy

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've been (mostly) lurking for the last year, but Thursday night Cal and I drove up to Lancaster and I came home with a brand new baby... my first one of the XJ species.

It's a 1992 Larado 4 door with 241k miles, black & tan, leather, power everything, and it was obviously *somebody's* baby. It's got the 4.0 HO, AW4, and NP242 with hack-n-tap SYE, Tom Woods driveshafts, and a Thorley header. The front's a D30/open, with 4.56s, 297 shafts, tube seals, JKS quicker discos, and a Currie steering brace; the rear's a D35/detroit tru-track (with 4.56s). It's got 35" ProComp MudTerrains on 16x8 black soft 8s and a RE 5.5" drop bracket lift.

Here she is, sitting next to Cal's:
img115.jpg

Hey Hildy! Congrats! I don't think that will have a problem on Gold Mountain.....:rof:

So when is it's maiden voyage?

Yeah. D35 don't do de 35's if you know what I mean... I've got an 8.25 I picked up a month ago, and we're gonna regear that and put it under this jeep.

Hildy said:
Yeah. D35 don't do de 35's if you know what I mean... I've got an 8.25 I picked up a month ago, and we're gonna regear that and put it under this jeep.

29 spline right?.....I think I have some brand new axle seals and bearings just lying aroound if you want them

xjjeeper19 said:
29 spline right?.....I think I have some brand new axle seals and bearings just lying around if you want them
Yeah, 29 spline. Thanks for the offer, that'd be awesome.

<newb>Hey Cal, do I need these? or do they come with the gears and install kit we just ordered?</newb>

Get some rockrails on it. AJ's are a smokin deal, you can check them out on a few rigs at JV. Save the rockers. If you'll be at JV, stick to the easy run, or you will bash the rockers. Nice score, that lift has insane articulation in the front, same setup I've got.

Hildy said:
Yeah, 29 spline. Thanks for the offer, that'd be awesome.

<newb>Hey Cal, do I need these? or do they come with the gears and install kit we just ordered?</newb>

Yeah you can use those.

Hey Hildy, do you have any more pics of your new rig?I am probably going to 35's myself with a RE 5.5 lift, and would like to see how it looks.Do you plan on wheeling your rig with those 35's?Looks like you have a nice base to build on.

I've got some other ones in the same directory: http://www.shadowco.org/~cal/hildy/

If there's anything else you want a picture of, just let me know and I can go take it.

Yeah, I'm gonna keep the 35s on this rig, and go with the 29-spline 8.25 I've got in my side yard. There's a number of small things to fix, but this one's definitely 95% of the way to done.

he's got a spare bfg all terrain. If you have a 315/75/16 MT with good tread, you might talk him into taking it?

cal said:
he's got a spare bfg all terrain. If you have a 315/75/16 MT with good tread, you might talk him into taking it?
I have three to choose from, but the tread is iffy...Excellent trail spares. He can have one free if he just wants the tire. I also have one mounted ready to go for $30.

Congrats Dan! I know you've been lusting for an XJ for quite some time and you scored one helluva deal! Will JV be the maiden voyage? (Easy run?)

djblade311 said:
Congrats Dan! I know you've been lusting for an XJ for quite some time and you scored one helluva deal! Will JV be the maiden voyage? (Easy run?)
Thanks, Josh.

As much as I'd love to make Goatfest, my schedule doesn't permit it this year, and there's a few little things to fix before taking her out. I welded up the driver's seat yesterday, but I need to replace a grenaded transfer case and the crack in the header should really be welded before driving it much (and we're gonna do the motor mounts at the same time, since those are fubar).

Also, before I do anything hardcore, I want to get the rear end swapped out. I'd trust it now for something like Mojave Road (though I don't think it'll be ready in time), but not on any big rocks.

JohnX said:
I have three to choose from, but the tread is iffy...Excellent trail spares. He can have one free if he just wants the tire. I also have one mounted ready to go for $30.
If the wheel on the mounted one matches, I'll take it (and have 2 spares ;-) ), but otherwise, I'd be glad to have one of those tires. (Also, though I'm not asking for them, if you just wanna get rid of all three of them, I've got room to store them at my house. Just don't tell my wife. :shhh:)

Back