• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD AW4 to 4WD

RD93Chry8.25

NAXJA Forum User
2wd AW4 to 4wd

I am looking at a 2wd MJ and I want to have 4wd but I would probably want a 95 (larger U-joints) or newer non disconnect dana 30 and an atlas II so if the conversion is easy I may do this slowly. Is it true that all I need is the 4wd tail housing/tcase ring and I can turn my 2wd AW4 into a 4wd AW4? I have searched for some info on this conversion, but have not found much. any advice appreciated.

Re: 2wd AW4 to 4wd

RD93Chry8.25 said:
I am looking at a 2wd MJ and I want to have 4wd but I would probably want a 95 (larger U-joints) or newer non disconnect dana 30 and an atlas II so if the conversion is easy I may do this slowly. Is it true that all I need is the 4wd tail housing/tcase ring and I can turn my 2wd AW4 into a 4wd AW4? I have searched for some info on this conversion, but have not found much. any advice appreciated.

Technically, you can convert a 2WD AW4 to a 4WD version, but it takes a full overhaul. You'll have to change out the tailshaft and the tailshaft housing.

4WD versions of transmissions are usually shorter, and they accomplish this by either a shorter tailshaft (automatic) or mainshaft (manual.) Replacing the thing takes an overhaul, so you're going to end up rebuilding your transmissions.

And, since those are the "main" shafts in the case, they're not cheap. You're probably better off just getting a 4WD version someplace than getting a 2WD and parts to convert it. It is not a simple job, either...

Thanks for the response. I had heard that it was an easy change from 4wd to 2wd, but I should have known better. The truck is very nice, but it also does not have A/C either and I want it for a DD so maybe its not the right one. Those MJs are not common enough. Arrgh!!!!

Back