• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake issue.

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 and I replaced the front brakes and rotors about six months ago. The both calipers had freezing issues and must have overheated the rotors and warped one side. It started to pulsate a little on the pass side and pull a little too. I'm guessing the driver side glazed over and wasn't grabbing all that much. I replaced the calipers and lines a couple of days later and none of the problems went away. (Just no more frozen calipers.)

My problem today. I just replaced the rotors and brakes again and noticed the pass side caliper was a little more difficult to get on compared to the other side. Another observation is that when I spin the tire off the ground the braking resistance is not constant. It is a little more difficult to spin half way around. It does stop fine now.

Any thoughts?

It's pretty hard to guess. I would recommend that you make sure the caliper piston is moving freely. Also check the ledges on the knuckle, where the pads ride, for big wear spots and pitting. A little isn't harmful, but if it gets bad enough the pads can hang up there.

If you're getting drag and glazing with new calipers and rotors, a prime suspect is the rubber line to the caliper. If these develop cracks inside, they can restrict fluid flow and prevent the piston from retracting properly.

Remember that the only thing providing retraction for a disk brake is the combination of rotor runout and the little bit of elasticity in the piston seal. It doesn't take much to disturb that.

I replaced the lines and the problem never went away. The only problem I have now is the pass side wants to lock up when I lay on the brakes. I may try bleeding them again.

Back